Running into an audio file format that you can’t use on your Mac can be really frustrating. Luckily, most audio files can be converted to a file format that is compatible with your Mac. Converting files can be a big job for some users.
Today, there are many types of software for converting Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) audio files to .MP3 and many of them are free. You can convert FLAC audio files to .MP3 on Mac OS or Mac OS X using the FLAC MP3 Converter from the Apple App Store or any third-party converter. This tutorial will show you how.
Convert FLAC to MP3 Using FLAC MP3 Converter
Audio files come in a number of different formats. When the audio file is converted, the original quality can be loss, while other formats are lossless. The conversion of FLAC lossless audio files to MP3 requires a converter app that accommodates both FLAC and MP3 file formats. Apple offers an audio file converter in the App Store that you can download.
1. Use the FLAC MP3 Converter to convert your FLAC audio files to MP3. First, download the app and install it.
2. Launch the converter and set it aside on the desktop:
3. Click the ‘+’ icon to import the FLAC file from your computer. Or, you drag your FLAC audio files to the app.
4. Edit the file using the editing tools.
5. Choose MP3 as the output profile in the Profile list.
6. You can adjust the quality using bitrate scale, adjust the settings using the Settings button at the bottom of the window, or you can accept the defaults.
7. Once you are satisfied with the settings, click Convert.
8. The conversion could take a considerable amount of time, depending on the size of the file and your processor and Internet speeds.
The converted audio files may be stored in the Music (iTunes) files for your computer. If you want to change the storage location, you can create a new music folder and store your converted files there.
Convert FLAC to MP3 Using AII2MP3
If you don’t want to use the Apple FLAC Converter to convert your FLAC files, there are many third-party apps available that you can use to get it done. Many of the converters are free, such as the AII2MP3. To use the AII2MP3 as a FLAC converter, follow these steps.
1. Download the AII2MP3.
2. Install and launch the app.
3. Drag your FLAC files into the AII2MP3 GUI or onto the AII2MP3 icon on the Dock.
4. Use the options to adjust the file quality or accept the default settings.
5. When you are satisfied with the settings, click Convert.
6. The conversion could take time, depending on the file size processor, and Internet speeds.
Contact Apple Support
If you were not able to convert your FLAC files to MP3 by following the steps in this tutorial, you can contact Apple Support or the Genius Bar for more help.