One thing Xbox One users would like to know, however, is if there is a way to connect their console to a Bluetooth speaker so as to enjoy better sound output, or share sound with friends and family.
If you would like to know how to connect Bluetooth speaker to Xbox One, read on because we have provided all the answers around the question, as well as a detailed guide on how to set it up.
Can You Connect a Speaker to Xbox One?
The quick answer to whether you can connect a Bluetooth speaker to Xbox One is, Yes, you can. However, unlike other devices like your phone, TV, or virtual reality headsets, Xbox One does not natively support a direct connection to Bluetooth speakers. In fact, there are no Bluetooth settings on Xbox One.
To connect your Bluetooth speaker to Xbox One, there are a couple of steps and extra tools you would need, depending on the setup you want to use for the connection. We are going to provide 2 ways to connect your Xbox One to a Bluetooth speaker and get the powerful sound you want from your gaming.
The requirements for connecting Xbox One to a Bluetooth speaker depend on the method you want to use.
Method One – Using Bluetooth Transmitter or Adapter
- High-quality Bluetooth transmitter or High-quality Bluetooth Adapter
- Your Bluetooth speaker
Method Two – Without Adapter, Using Your Smartphone
- Your smartphone
- Your Bluetooth speaker
- Xbox mobile app
- 5Ghz router frequency
How to Connect Bluetooth Speaker to Xbox One
To connect Bluetooth speaker to Xbox One, you have 2 options:
- Using Bluetooth Transmitter with
- Using Bluetooth Adapter or Dongle
1. Set Up Using Bluetooth Dongle
For this, you would need a Bluetooth dongle that has an optical Toslink end and a supplied USB cable
1. Connect the optical Toslink on the Bluetooth dongle to the optical port at the back of the Xbox One console
2. Connect one end of the supplied USB cable to the USB port end of the Bluetooth dongle
3. Connect the other end of the USB cable to the USB port on the Xbox console to power on the Bluetooth dongle
4. Next, turn on your Bluetooth speaker
5. Press the Bluetooth button on the speaker
6. Then press the Bluetooth dongle twice in quick succession to pair it to the Bluetooth speaker
7. That’s it. Your Xbox one will now play through the Bluetooth speaker
2. Set Up Using Bluetooth Transmitter or Adapter
For this, you would need a supplied optical cable and USB cable. It also comes with a 3.5mm audio jack but you do not need that for this setup.
1. First, connect the USB cable to the USB port on the Bluetooth transmitter
2. Then, plug the other end of the USB cable into the USB port on the Xbox One console. This will power the Bluetooth transmitter on
3. A light on the transmitter will blick red and blue indicating that it is in pairing mode. If it does not enter pairing mode, press down the bluetooth button on the transmitter for 2 seconds to put it in pairing mode
4. Next, turn on your Bluetooth speaker and put it in pairing mode, too. Make sure that it is close to the Bluetooth transmitter. The devices will connect automatically.
5. Now, take one end of the optical cable and put it in the optical cable point at the back of the Bluetooth transmitter
6. Plug the other end of the optical cable into the optical cable port at the back of the Xbox One
And that’s it, your Xbox One is connected to the Bluetooth speaker and will play audio through the speaker.
For a good transmitter to use, check out Avantree Audikast Plus
How to Connect Bluetooth Speaker to Xbox One Without Adapter
If you do not have a Bluetooth transmitter, or just do not wish to use one, you can use your phone as a bridge between your Xbox One and the Bluetooth speaker. Some users find this to be a hassle but it works just as well as with the Bluetooth adapter.
To use your phone to connect Xbox One to the Bluetooth speaker, you need to first enable Remote Features on Xbox One using the steps below:
1. Press the Xbox button on your controller
2. Click on your name or Profile and System
3. Scroll down and select Settings
4. From the menu that appears, select Device and Connections
5. From the Device and Connections menu on the right, select Remote Features
6. When the Remote Features menu opens, make sure that the box next to Enable Remote Features is checked
7. Also, at Power Mode, set it to Instant On
8. Connect Your Phone to the Bluetooth Speaker
The method to connect your phone to the Bluetooth speaker depends largely on the brand of speaker you are using. The important thing is to make sure you first put the speaker in pairing mode and then:
1. Open Settings on your phone
2. Select Bluetooth
3. Toggle to turn it on
4. Select your Bluetooth speaker from Available devices and then tap to pair it with the speaker
5. Download and Install Xbox App to Your Phone
6. Go to your phone’s application store and search for Xbox, then select it from the search results. You may see Xbox Microsoft Corporation or Xbox Entertainment.
7. Install the app on your phone
8. Open the Xbox app and sign into your Xbox account
9. Set Up the Connection
10. Connect your phone to the same WIFI as your Xbox console
11. Launch the Xbox app on your phone
12. At the top right, you will see a console icon with signals coming out of it. Tap on that
13. You will be warned that the setup will work better with a 5Ghz router frequency and a wired connection. So, if you have those available, then use them. Later, we will detail how to force your router to use 5GHz frequency
14. Meanwhile, from the option on your phone screen, tap on Remote Play On this Device
15. You may get a reminder about the connection requirements. Click on Continue
16. Xbox will load on your phone. Then you will be prompted to connect a Controller
17. You should have your controller connected to Xbox. So, click on Continue Anyway
18. Your phone is now connected to your Xbox Console through remote play
19. You now have Xbox connected to your Bluetooth speaker because the phone is connected to the Bluetooth speaker
You could also still play on your TV while using the Bluetooth speaker for audio since Xbox one is already connected to your TV. You do this by turning down the volume of your TV to hear the sound from the Bluetooth speaker.
Issues with Remote Connection:
Some of the known issues with this setup include:
- If you get a call on your phone during the remote connection, it disconnects the setup and you have to reconnect
- If you swipe away from the Xbox app while playing, it also interrupts the connection. You would have to disconnect and then reconnect.
How to Connect USB Speakers to Xbox One
If you do not want to use Blueooth speakers for your Xbox One, you could use a USB speaker instead.
The method to do this is quite similar to using the Bluetooth adapter. But instead of a Bluetooth dongle or transmitter, you would need an Audio Extractor.
Let’s get to it:
- Audio Extractor with supplied power adapter
This will transmit audio from the HDMI connection on the Xbox One, through the audio extractor, to your USB speaker
- 2 HDMI cables for connections from the audio extractor to the Xbox and your TV
- 3.5mm audio jack or optical cable for connection from the USB speaker to the audio extractor
1. Connect one end of one HDMI cable to your Xbox HDMI Out port, and connect the other end of the same cable to the HDMI In port on the audio extractor
2. Connect one end of the second HDMI cable to the HDMI Out port on the audio extractor, and the other end of the same cable to your TV
3. Now, plug the adapter into a wall socket and connect it to the DC 5V power port on the extractor
4. Plug one end of the optical cable into the Optical In port on the audio extractor
5. Plug the other end of the optical cable into the optical port on your USB speaker
Now your Xbox One is set to play through your USB speaker.
Bluetooth Speaker Won’t Connect to Xbox One
Connecting a Bluetooth speaker to your Xbox One is a rather simple process. If you carefully follow the steps outlined for connecting the speaker using an adapter or your phone, you should have your Xbox playing through the speakers without hassle and with little latency (usually in milliseconds).
However, some users report that they experience issues with the connection such as no audio or audio latency.
While a Bluetooth speaker connection on Xbox One is a simple one, there are some technical requirements that need to be in place for it to work properly. So, if you are experiencing issues with your setup, you can try the fixes below to resolve the issue.
1. Check the Bluetooth Speaker Volume
If you are experiencing no or low audio output from your speaker, the first thing to do is the obvious: check the volume on the speaker.
A good Bluetooth speaker comes with external volume controls. When you connect the speaker to the Xbox One, make sure that you press the + volume button several times to get good audio levels out of the speaker.
2. Check Your Internet Connection
If you are using your phone as a bridge between the Bluetooth speaker and the Xbox One, you need to ensure that your internet connection is excellent. In the setup detailed above, you may recall that Xbox requires 5GHz router frequency and a wired connection to the Xbox for best results.
You can do without a wired connection as long as your router is close enough to the Xbox One. However, you need 5GHz router frequency for best results on this setup…and for any internet-based gaming console, actually.
Most routers have a dual band of 2.4GHz and 5Ghz router frequencies. 2.4GHz has the advantage of covering greater distances than the 5GHz frequency. However, it does not support the internet speeds needed for the Bluetooth speaker connection.
Dual-frequency routers automatically switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz when searching for the best connection at each point in time. To use 5GHz, you would need to disable the 2.4GHz using the steps below:
The interface to complete this task depends on the kind of WIFI router you are using. You may consult your ISP for guidance. However, we have presented a general guide for all WIFI routers below:
1. Connect your PC to the router using an ethernet cable
2. Enter your router IP address into a web browser and Go
Your router’s IP address is in the router’s manual. If you do not have access to the manual, please use the steps below to find your router’s IP address:
1. Click the Windows button on your PC
2. Enter Control Panel and select it from the results
3. Select View Network Status under Network and Internet
4. Select the name of your connected WIFI network
5. Select Details in the window that pops up
6. The IP address for IPv4 Default Gateway is your router’s IP address
After opening the IP address on your router, log in with the admin username and password. Again, this detail is on the manual, but if you do not have the manual, please go to Router Passwords and search for the default admin credentials for your router.
- After logging in, go to the Wireless or WIFI section of the configuration page and select 2.4Ghz, then toggle to turn it off. You may find this setting in the Advanced Settings section
3. Check All Cable Connections
If you are using a Bluetooth transmitter or dongle to connect your Bluetooth speaker to Xbox One, you need a series of cable connections. If you are having issues like no audio, poor audio output, or intermittend audio disconnections, it is likely that a connection in the setup is not firm.
Audio data trasnmission is delicate and requires firm connections on every port in order to work properly. So, to check your cable connections:
1. Leave the Bluetooth speaker and Xbox One turned on
2. Disconnect all the cables that go from the Bluetooth transmitter or dongle to Xbox One, and from the transmitter or dongle to the Bluetooth speaker
3. Now, plug them back carefully, making sure that are all secure in their ports
4. Check Audio Settings
If you are having feedback or echo, or even no sound at all, it is possible that the volume output setting on your Xbox one is confusing your new setup. This is especially true when using Party Chat.
When you connect Bluetooth speakers to Xbox One, you want the output to come from the speakers and so you need to set it up accordingly. To do this:
1. Press the Xbox button on your controller
2. Press the Xbox button on your controller
3. Select Profile & System
4. Select Settings
5. Then select Display and Sound
6. From the Display and Sound menu on the right, select Volume
7. Scroll down and select Party Chat Output
8. You will see Headet, Speakers, and Headset & Speakers
9. Select Speakers
5. Restart the Bluetooth Speaker
If you have been using the Bluetooth speaker connection and then it stops working, it is possible that the speaker has run into a glitch. This could also happen if you are using the phone bridge setup and your connection gets interrupted.
What you need to do is simply to restart the Bluetooth speaker and allow it to re-pair with the phone or Bluetooth adapter as the case may be.
If a restart does not fix the issue in the case of a Bluetooth adapter, you could try plugging the adpater into another USB port on the Xbox One. This is because the port where it is currently plugged may be glitching or may not supply enough power to the adapter.
Best Bluetooth Speaker for Xbox One
Using a Bluetooth speaker on Xbox One is not natively supported by Xbox. So, to use the workaround provided in this article, you need to ensure that you use high-quality accessories. If you use low-quality ones, you are almost sure to experience issues like sound latency, poor sound output, or frequent disconnections.
Here are the best Bluetooth speakers for use on your Xbox One:
When a speaker has 5 stars from over 6 thousand reviews, you know you are getting the best value for your money.
With the JBL Charge 3, you get:
Connection to 3 mobile devices simultaneously, taking turns to play them
- 20 hours of non-stop play
- Top-notch noise and echo cancellation
- And, as the name indicates, water proof Bluetooth speaker for use anywhere
If you want, you could even go for the newer JBL Charge 5 model. You cannot go wrong with either model.
The Samsung Dolby Audio Soundbar is another excellent Bluetooth speaker for connection to Xbox One.
Not only does it support wireless Bluetooth connection, it also supports connection using USB cable, which makes it a versatile device for your Xbox One.
With this speaker you are getting:
- Intense bass sound
- Wireless and USB Bluetooth connection
- NFC connection
- Remote control
- USB port to plug and play your music using a USB stick
However, the optical cable is not supplied with this speaker. You would need to buy that separately.
Another established name in sound systems, Bose racks up a 5 star rating with its SoundLink Flex speaker designed for gaming, streaming, outdoor travel, and pretty much any scenario.
With this speaker, you get:
- Excellent sound output with noise cancellation
- Waterproof speaker with proven IP67 rating
- 12 hours of playing time
- Updates using the Bose Connect App, and lots more