Your keyboard keeps track of everything that you type in an effort to streamline your experience. You’re familiar with features, such as text suggestions, which helps you type faster by keeping track of the way you type. Your keyboard keeps track of more than just the words you type.
Are you partial to any emojis? If you are, there’s a section on your keyboard dedicated to your recently used emojis. If you no longer want this section to exist, then you can start the list over by deleting all of them. Here’s how you clear your recent emojis on Android.
How to Clear Recent Emojis
Before you clear your emojis, make sure that you know where the recent ones are on your keyboard. On your keyboard, switch to the emoji part of your keyboard and look for the little clock icon. The clock icon separates your other emojis from your most commonly used ones. Also, before you erase your recent emojis, you should know that this action will also erase the suggestive text on your keyboard. This means you won’t be able to quicken your typing by using predictive text.
Note: If you are going to reset your keyboard to delete recent emojis, then this is going to reset the dictionary. Resetting the dictionary means that any custom words that your keyboard has saved will be deleted. Your keyboard has predicted words and every time you reject a predicted word for your own custom word, these custom words are saved in the dictionary so whenever you type them again, they won’t be rejected. This means that every time you go to type that custom word, it won’t be auto-corrected. By resetting your keyboard to clear your recent emojis, you’ll also be resetting the custom words. This means that any form of slang or custom phrase will be deleted so you’ll have to type these out again so that your keyboard doesn’t auto-suggest.
To see your recent emojis, open the Messages app or Whatsapp and tap on the > button to the left of the text field. This will bring up a list of all the recent messages you’ve had as well as any emojis that were used in them.
To clear your recent emojis on Android, here’s what you have to do. Beware that these steps are also specific to Samsung devices if you’re using an Android that isn’t specifically Samsung, then you’ll need to tailor these steps slightly.
1. Open your Settings menu. The Settings app icon on your device resembles a grey gear.
2. Once the Settings menu is opened, scroll down to “General Management.” It should be located at the bottom of the Settings menu.
3. On the General Management menu, select “Language and Input.”
4. On the “Language and Input” menu, tap on “On- screen Keyboard.” You’ll be navigated to a list of all the keyboard you have on your device.
5. Tap on the keyboard that you use on the list. If you use the default keyboard, then it should say the type of device you have next to the keyboard. It might also just say “default keyboard.”
6. On the menu, select “Reset to default settings.” Doing this will wipe your keyboard taking it back to factory default meaning that your recent emojis should be gone.
Go onto your keyboard and look at the section where the recent emojis should be. There should be nothing there.
Change The Recent Emojis With Other Emojis
Rather than deleting your emoji history, if you’re worried about someone seeing potential emojis that you wouldn’t want them to see or emojis that may embarrass you, you can switch about the recent emojis for a set of emojis that aren’t so embarrassing. To do this, you just have to go on your keyboard and tap a bunch of different emojis to what’s already in the recent emojis. Doing this will remove the emojis that are in the recents with the ones you just clicked. To access the keyboard in the first place, you can go on Whatsapp and click on the text field to start typing.
Reset Your Android
If you want to delete your recent emojis, then resetting your Android to factory default will also do this for you. If you do want to clear your recently used emojis, it’s not recommended that you reset your Android just to do this. Instead, you should only reset your Android to clear your recently used emojis if you were going to reset your Android anyway.
- Open Settings, and select System.
- Select Reset options.
- Select Erase all data.
- Select Reset Phone or Reset Tablet at the bottom.
- You’ll be asked to confirm, select Erase Everything. You may need to enter your passcode for this to be finalized.
- Your Android should now be rebooted and your recent emoji keyboard should be removed.
How to Clear Recent Emoji in Gboard
If you want to clear your recent emojis in Gboard, then you can do this by clearing the data and cache. Resetting this keyboard will take it back to factory default and will get rid of any emojis that were recently used.
- Go to Settings app > Apps > Google Keyboard.
- Click storage.
- Click Clear Data and Clear Cache.
How to Delete Emoji History WhatsApp
Whatsapp stores your recently used emojis so that you don’t have to look for the emojis that you frequently use which can take time since there are hundreds of them. If you’ve been using emojis that you don’t want someone to see or you’ve just gone through a breakup and the recent emojis in Whatsapp are making you emotional, then you can remove them.
To view your recently used emojis on WhatsApp, open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Emoji. Under the My Saved Emojis section, there will be a list of emojis that you’ve previously used.
Unfortunately, if you want to clear your recent emoji history on Whatsapp, then you’ll either need to reinstall WhatsApp or clear its cache. Doing either of these will delete all of the storage that WhatsApp is taking up which means your chats will be cleared.
- Open your Whatsapp.
- Tap on three vertical Dots on the right top. This will bring up a menu
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Chats.
- Tap on Chat Backup. You should see when your WhatsApp was last backup. If it was too long ago, you’ll need to tap on Backup.
- Tap on Backup.
- Go back to settings.
- Tap on Application Manager.
- Select WhatsApp.
- Tap on Clear Data. Clearing your data is the same as deleting WhatsApp then reinstalling it again, this will get rid of your chats but it will also clear the recently used emoji history.
- Open Whatsapp.
- Enter your phone number and continue.
- Click on Restore.
- Click Next.
- Enter your name and click Next.
How to Clear Recent Emojis on a Different Keyboard
Having an Android comes with endless customization benefits, and one of them is that you don’t have to use the default keyboard. Deleting the emojis in these keyboards won’t have the same steps as deleting emojis on your default program.
Although every keyboard is different, there are some things in general you can keep in mind to get to where you need to delete your recent emojis.
1. Open the keyboard app on your device.
2. In the keyboard app, look for a settings gear or settings section. Tap on it to enter the Settings menu.
3. Look for a way to clear data on the settings menu. It might say “Clear data” or “delete learned words or data.” You’ll want to look for an option that sounds like one of these suggestions because emojis are a part of data.
4. Tap that option once you locate it and you’ll have to confirm that you want everything to be erased. If you clear your emojis, you’ll clear the predictive text function of what it has learned of you.
Now, you can restart your recent emojis list.
Does this article seriously say that factory resetting your phone is an acceptable way to clear your recently used emoji