If you use the internet frequently then it is highly recommended that you change your passwords often given how vulnerable cybersecurity has become lately. For instance, if you are an active user of social media then you should be changing your passwords every six months as a protective measure. Likewise, the same applies to your email as well. Now the thing is that most people access their emails via the Mail app on their iPhone and hence, it is paramount to know how to change email passwords on the iPhone. If you do not know it yet, you will know it at the end of this article. Here is what you need to do.
Changing the Email Password on iPhone:
1. Open the Settings on your iPhone.
2. Now scroll down a little and tap on the option Passwords and Accounts.
3. Upon tapping this option, you will see a screen with various options on it. Choose your email account from the Account section by tapping on it. For example, if you are using Live account then tap on the option Live.
4. Next, tap on the email address written next to the option Account.
5. Now on the next screen, you will be able to see the description of your account. One option on this page would be Password and it will have your password (hidden) written next to it. Tap on that option and clear the field.
6. Now key in your new password and then hit the option Done on the top of the screen.
7. The password for your email has been successfully changed now. You can repeat the same process if you want to change the passwords for different email accounts.
You just need to understand a very important thing here. This changing the password process is about updating the changed password on the iPhone. You simply cannot change the password without accessing the email account through the web or within the app. You will request change password on the server first, and once it is changed you will then update in the iPhone settings. For example, if you want to change the password for your Gmail account, you will log in to Gmail account, go to its settings and changed the password. Once the password is changed, you can then update it on the iPhone via the aforementioned method.
What if the Password doesn’t get changed/updated via settings?
You have just read the simple guideline to change/update your email password on the iPhone. Some iPhone users have encountered this error where they are unable to update the password. If you are also facing this issue then you won’t be able to access your emails as the Mail app won’t approve the login for your account. In that case, you will need to address this issue, and luckily, a few simple tips can help you with that error.
Delete the Problematic Account:
One of the quickest ways to address this issue is to delete the problematic account and then set it up again in the settings. All you will need to do is to go to the settings then Password and Accounts and then choosing the account you want to delete. Delete the problematic account and then set it up from scratch. Doing that will allow you to set it up with the updated password and then you won’t face any issues in accessing your emails.
Another way of dealing with this error is to force restart your device. One of the benefits of force restarting the device is that it eradicates the errors within the system and the apps. Here is how you can force restart different iPhone models.
For iPhone 8 or Later:
Quickly press-release the volume up button, then press-release the volume down button in quick succession. Once done, press-hold the sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
For iPhone 7 & 7 Plus:
Press-hold the sleep/wake button in tandem with volume down button for at least 7-10 seconds. Do not release them until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
For iPhone 6 Plus & Previous Models:
Press-hold the home and side/top button (as per the model) for 10 seconds. Do not release them until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
After reading this article, you may have understood it that changing the password on the iPhone is a pretty straightforward process. The only problem is that sometimes the Mail app and the account don’t work as they should. In that case, you will need to address that issue but fortunately, doing it is easy as changing/updating the password itself.