When you get a call at an inconvenient time, it can be rather irritating, and scrambling to find a way to ignore the call can make things difficult. On Instagram, anyone who has the ability to message you is able to voice or video call. This is usually people that follow you or people that have tried to message you in the past but you’ve ignored their request.
Also, every call you get will consume your mobile data if you are on the go. To fix this, as an Instagram user, you can block voice and video calls from specific followers, disable notifications, or use Do Not Disturb to prevent the calls from coming through.
Blocking Calls from Specific Followers
1. Open Instagram.
2. When you launch the app, make sure you’re on the home screen that shows all of the posts on your news feed. In the bottom row, click on the house icon to get you to the home section where you’ll be able to find all of your DMs.
3. Click on the DM icon. This looks like an airplane and from here, you will see all of your followers that you have sent messages to. If you are not in the DM section, you need to click on the house icon at the bottom row then select the airplane icon in the upper right corner. If you’ve never messaged the person you want to block calls from, you need to click on the head icon in the bottom right corner and click on your following. From here, you’ll be able to search for the person you want to block calls from.
3. Tap the thread of the person that you want to block. If there is no conversation with the person whose calls you want to block, you will need to look for them via search.
4. After you enter the thread of the contact whose calls you want to block, you will see all the past messages that you have sent to them. Tap the person’s name at the top of the message thread.
5. A new menu with options will appear. You will need to scroll down and select Mute call notifications. This will block voice and calls from this person. If you want to block calls from them entirely, select Block at the top then again to confirm. This will block them as well as block calls from them.
You can undo this in the same section.
Disabling Instagram Notifications
If you don’t want to receive any calls, you can disable the app’s notifications, so that if someone does call, you aren’t notified about it.
- Open Settings.
2. Scroll down to Instagram.
3. Select Notifications.
4. Toggle Off Allow Notifications.
1. Open your device’s Settings App.
2. Tap on the option that says Notification. This will open a number of options, but you want to scroll until you see the apps on your device. In the upper left of the screen is an option that may say Most Recent. Tap this and choose All so that you can see all of the apps on your phone.
3. Once you can see all of the apps on your device, you will need to scroll until you see Instagram. There will be a switch located to the right of it.
4. Tap the switch once and it will turn gray.
Now all the notifications for Instagram are turned off. If you would like to receive notifications again, then you can turn the switch back into the on position.
Do Not Disturb
This will turn off all notifications for your device, so you may only want to use this if you think you’ll get calls from more than just Instagram.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Scroll down to Do Not Disturb.
3. Toggle it On.
1. Open your device’s Settings App. It usually resembles a gear in the middle of a gray background for Android devices and for iPhone devices.
2. Tap on the option that says Notifications.
3. Towards the top of the menu, you will see an option that says, “Do Not Disturb.” Click the switch in the “On” position to the right of the screen. The switch will turn blue when it is in the “On” position.