If you’re itching to use Kik on your Windows PC, you may have noticed it isn’t available for download, not unless you use BlueStacks.
BlueStacks is a very popular Android emulator. It’s free to use and is available for both Windows and macOS. With BlueStacks, you can run Android apps on your computer as if you had a real Android at your fingertips. That’s the power of an emulator.
What’s that have to do with Kik? Well, since Kik is an app and BlueStacks is an Android emulator, you can join the two and use Kik on your computer, even exclusively if you so choose. It’s a rather impressive piece of software that has the ability to allow its users to play apps that their personal mobile device may not be powerful enough to play.
Installing BlueStacks to your Computer
Before you install BlueStacks, you should know that you need a Google account in order to sign in. If you don’t have one, you can create a Google account for free. With that being said, you can move onto the installation of BlueStacks. Here’s what you do:
1. Locate and open your preferred web browser and head on over to BlueStack’s homepage.
2. On BlueStack’s homepage, click Download BlueStacks, located at the top of the homepage. Doing so will automatically start the download process and provide you with an installer that matches your operating system.
3. When it’s finished downloading, double-click the setup file or, alternatively, you can open it by clicking its icon in your web browser. When prompted, click Run.
4. The setup opens a window. Click Install Now. Depending on the strength of your connection, it may take a few moments. The file size, as of the writing of this article, is 519 MB. Afterwards, it will automatically start extracting files.
Make sure the box to the left of “Accept software license” has a checkmark. Also, if you’re having trouble installing it, you may need to pause your PC antivirus for a moment until after BlueStacks has been installed.
5. When the installation process is complete, BlueStacks will not confirm the completion. Instead, it will simply place a shortcut to your desktop. Go ahead and launch BlueStacks.
The first boot up of BlueStacks tends to be a bit lengthy. However, it all depends on the specifications of your computer. Your experience may vary.
6. If this is your first time using BlueStacks, BlueStacks will provide a login for you to use a valid Google account. You can’t use BlueStacks without.
BlueStacks is completely safe to use. However, if you have reservations about using your primary Google account (that’s a good instinct to have), then consider creating another Google account or using a secondary Google account.
7. In the top right corner of the application, you’ll see “Discover apps” and a search bar below. Click the search bar and type in “kik.”
The search bar isn’t always there. In that case, just double-click the Google Play Store app on the home screen of BlueStacks. When the Google Play Store loads, click the search bar at the top of the screen and type in “kik.”
8. Among the search results, find the Kik app and click Install. Its icon is “kik” spelled in green, followed by a green dot, against a white backdrop. Kik will automatically download and install to the BlueStacks application. When it’s finished, it will throw you a confirmation message.
9. Locate and launch the Kik app. You’ll find it on the Home tab, by clicking “Home” at the top of the BlueStacks application.
10. The Kik app will operate like it would on a mobile device. You can log into Kik if you already have a Kik account by clicking LOG IN. However, if you don’t have a Kik account, click SIGN UP. It’s free to do. You can’t use Kik’s features until you have a Kik account.
Just so you know, if you decide to use an existing Kik account, and you’re currently logged into Kik on another device, it will kick you out of Kik on the other device.
Signing Up to Kik
1. Locate and launch the Kik application while using BlueStacks. The Kik icon is “kik” in green lettering alongside a green dot, against a white backdrop. You can find it by clicking Home at the top of BlueStacks. All your currently installed apps are on your Home screen.
2. Once Kik has loaded, click SIGN UP. It will redirect you to an account creation page.
3. On the sign up page, fill in your personal information. Provide a name, as well as a last name. Create a username and it has to be unique or it will not be accepted; Kik doesn’t accept duplicate usernames. Provide an Email, a valid email account. Lastly, provide a password for your account (write it down so you don’t forget it) and your birthday.
You can upload a profile picture by clicking Set Photo, but that’s entirely optional. You can also choose to skip providing a phone number, too. Though it says “recommended,” it isn’t needed to continue.
5. After clicking “SIGN UP,” you’ll have to verify you aren’t a robot looking to seek world domination by completing the captcha Kik’s provides.
Read their instructions clearly, or else they will infuriate you. Some can be rather annoying to complete.
6. Once you’ve completed the captcha, your Kik account will have been successfully created. KiK will ask you one more time to punch in your number, if you didn’t provide one during your account creation. If you don’t want to, click NOT NOW in the top right corner of the screen. When prompted to confirm, click I’m sure.
7. You are now free to use Kik on your computer like you would on a mobile device.