Instagram is a social media giant that has millions of users using the app every single day. You can post pictures and videos like you could any other social media app, however, that’s its primary focus.
Instagram can almost be seen as a combination of Facebook and Twitter. For example, Twitter revolves around having followers and who you’re following; Twitter doesn’t have a friends list.
Instagram follows the same line of thinking. While Instagram doesn’t have the traditional statuses that Facebook has, one could argue the pictures and videos you post are like a status.
The magic of Instagram comes from its filters and editing. It has a suite of photo editing tools that are at your disposal, like warmth, saturation, highlights, even vignette.
Many modern Android devices come with Instagram preinstalled. The keyword there is “many.” For those of you who don’t have it right out of the box, you can simply download it from the Google Play Store, completely free of charge. Here’s what you do:
1. Locate and launch the Google Play Store app. It’s a colorful triangle. You’ll find it on one of your home screens or in the App Drawer, where all currently installed apps are housed.
2. In the Google Play Store, tap the search bar at the very top of the screen. When your virtual keyboard launches, type in the search bar “Instagram.” When you search for something, the Google Play Store provides a drop down menu of its search results.
Go ahead and select Instagram from the search results. Its icon is a camera against a backdrop with an ombre effect.
Selecting Instagram from the search results will take you immediately to its information page.
3. On Instagram’s information page, review its features and decide if Instagram is right for you. If so, go ahead and select Install. The Instagram app will immediately download to your phone and your Android phone will immediately install it when it is finished downloading.
If you already have the Instagram app, like many modern Android devices do, you won’t see an option to install. Instead, what you’ll see is the option to Update. If you would like to use Instagram, go ahead and update it in order to have access to it.
4. Once the installation of the Instagram app is complete, you should find it on one of your home screens. However, if you have the option to place shortcuts on your home screen for new apps, you will find the Instagram app in your App Drawer. All installed apps are housed there.
5. Locate and launch the Instagram app and log into Instagram with a valid account.
If you don’t have an Instagram account, you can create one on the spot. However, you will need a valid email account as there is a verification email that is sent to you.