So, you go to YouTube to watch your favourite Youtubers new video.
When you try and increase the volume of the video, you notice that the volume icon is missing.
This can be frustrating because you can’t hear the sound and there’s no sound icon to change it.
In this article, I’m going to show you how to get the volume icon back and why it’s missing.
I’m going to show you the most reliable steps first so that you don’t have to keep scrolling down and wasting time.
Why is the Volume icon Missing?
The most common reason that would cause the sound icon to go missing is a bug in the system.
A bug is a failure in the system that causes unexpected results.
Down below are different ways to fix this bug so your greyed-out volume icon can go back to normal.
Restart Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer can be used to navigate your hard drive and display the contents of the folders and subfolders you use to organize your files on your hard drive.
If there’s an issue with the explorer, it could also cause problems with the icons in the taskbar.
To restart Windows Explorer and fix the issue:
- Click ctrl + shift + Esc to open Task Manager
- Look for the Windows Explorer
- Right click and click on restart
- The volume should come back
After doing this, if you still can’t change your volumes, you need to go to the next step.
Create a New explorer.exe Task
The next thing you need to do is to create a new explorer.exe task.
This is done by ending the one that’s currently running.
The explorer.exe file contains everything that’s in the start menu, taskbar, desktop and file manager.
If there’s an issue with this file, it could cause a problem with the volume icon.
- Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and open Task Manager
- Click on DETAILS tab
- Find explorer.exe, right-click, and click on END TASK
- On the top Menu Bar, click on FILE, RUN NEW TASK
- Enter explorer.exe in the task entry box and click OK
- On the top, click on VIEW and REFRESH NOW
- Volume icon should reappear after refreshing
Change the Text Size
The next thing that I recommend you do is to change the text size of the icons in the taskbar.
If you can’t see the volume icon at all, you’ll need to take this step.
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop
- Click on Display settings
- Chane the text size to 125% and click apply
- Move this back to 100%
Once this is done, you should be able to see the volume icon in the taskbar.
Those are all of the steps you need to take if you can’t see your volume icon or it’s greyed out.
If none of these steps work, comment down below.
If you managed to fix this problem, comment down below which solution you used.
If you liked this article, share it.