With visual voicemail, your iPhone shows you a list of voicemail messages with additional information about the caller, an option to listen, the duration, and an option to delete or archive the voicemail. Usually, visual voicemail works wells and managers to pull voicemails from the server but sometimes, it’s not always accurate.
There are a few problems you could be facing with visual voicemail. Your iPhone may not be showing you the voicemail messages, the voicemails could have no sound, there may be no notifications when you receive a voicemail, or there are duplicate voicemails. The problems are usually caused by visual voicemail not being set up correctly on your iPhone.
Before you start to troubleshoot the problem, you need to make sure that your carrier supports visual voicemail. If you don’t have it within your plan, you won’t be able to use the feature.
How to Set Up Visual Voicemail
To set up visual voicemail:
1. Go to the Phone app, then tap the Voicemail tab.
2. Tap Set Up Now.
3. Create a voicemail password, then tap Done.
4. Enter your password again to confirm it, then tap Done.
5. Select Custom or Default. If you choose Custom, you can record a new greeting.
6. Tap Done to save your greeting. Once you’ve made sure that you’ve set up the feature currently, you can start to troubleshoot it for problems.
Reboot your iPhone
The first thing you can do when Visual voicemail isn’t working is to reboot your device. When there’s a problem within your device, the first thing you should do is to reboot your device. Rebooting your device refreshed the operation system and get’s rid of any issues that could be caused by your iPhone’s software.
Once your iPhone has shut down, you can reinsert your sim and reboot your device. Once your device is back on, you can check if visual voicemail is working properly.
Check Cellular Network Connection
Since your voicemails have to be pulled from a server, you need to make sure that your cellular network is working properly. To check this, you can call someone on your contacts list and if the call goes through, then your network is connected properly. If not, this could be the reason why visual voicemail is having problems.
Check that your Voicemail is Working
You need to check that voicemails are working on your iPhone. If people aren’t able to leave you a voicemail, then you won’t be able to receive visual voicemails. To check this, you can call your own number and try and leave yourself a voicemail. From here, if you aren’t able to leave a voicemail or play the voicemail you left yourself, you’ll need to contact your carrier about this issue.
Force Restart your iPhone
If there’s a software issue within your iPhone that’s causing problems with visual voicemail, then you can force restart your device. When you force restart your device, the software is refreshed, checked for any errors, and wiped for any errors. This means that when your phone reboots again, it should be clear of any software problems.
If you have an iPhone 7 or above:
1. Hold the sleep/wake key and the volume down key.
2. Wait for the Apple logo to appear
If you have an iPhone X or 8:
1. Quickly press the release the volume up button.
2. Quickly press the release the volume down button.
3. Press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
Reset Network Settings
Your network settings are related to things like your cellular network, WIFI settings, data, and Bluetooth. When this is reset, anything that relates to your network is troubleshot and this includes visual voicemail.
To reset network settings:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap on General > Reset.
3. Tap Reset Network Settings and enter your password.
4. Tap Reset Network Settings again to confirm. Once your device has rebooted, then you can go back to visual voicemail and check if it’s working properly.
If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting method and you’re still having problems with visual voicemail, you can try and contact your carrier about the issue and they should be able to resolve it for you. The problem is likely due to your network so your carrier would be the best option to contact about the issue.