Checking emails on your iPhone’ Mail app is much more feasible than opening a laptop, signing in the account and then checking the email. iPhone’ Mail app is a pretty decent app, a person with basic technical knowledge can understand and operate it. You can perform various functions like replying the mail, flagging, marking as read/unread, and deleting.
Talking about deleting the emails on the Mail app, it is just as simple as swiping over the email you want to delete. However, if you are swiping over the email only to see options like Archive, Flag, or More and thinking iOS update has played some trick again then you are wrong. It is not the update nor any fault in the app, it is just the app’ settings have been set differently.
Since Settings is central to everything that functions on the iPhone (actually not all but most), you will need to visit it for the Mail settings too. Before iOS 11, it was quite a simple process but ever since iOS 11, things have become a bit complicated. Well, you do not need to worry as all you need to do is to read and comprehend the steps below to get used to these new settings. Here is how:
For iOS 11 and Later:
1. Go to the Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the option Passwords and Accounts or Accounts and Passwords.
3. Now go to the Mail Account from which you want to delete the emails. For example, if you are using Outlook then tap on the option Outlook.
4. Tap on the option Account; it has your email mentioned across it.
5. Now tap on the option Advanced Settings.
6. You will be presented with the two options in MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO Section. They are: Deleted Mailbox and Archived Mailbox.
7. Choose the option Deleted Mailbox.
8. Once done, tap on the option Account located at the top left of your screen to go back to the Account Screen.
9. Now tap on the option Done located at the top-right of your screen.
10. You don’t necessarily need to but restart your device as a precaution and then check if the settings have been changed or not.
For iOS 10 and Earlier:
1. Launch Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the option Mail.
3. Tap your email account and then hit Advanced.
4. You will be presented with the two options in MOVE DISCARDED MESSAGES INTO Section. They are: Deleted Mailbox and Archived Mailbox.
5. Choose the option Deleted Mailbox.
6. Once done, tap on the option Account located at the top left of your screen to go back to the Account Screen.
7. Now tap on the option Done located at the top-right of your screen.
8. Restart your device.
So, these are the simple steps which will help you directly delete the emails in the Mail App. Moreover, you can also delete emails even if swiping on it shows archive or other options. You can do that by:
1. Go to the Mail app on your iPhone.
2. Sign in to your account if you aren’t already.
3. Now locate the email message you want to delete.
4. Swipe over that email message.
5. You will see the option More with three dots over it. Tap on it.
6. Upon tapping, you will see many options and one of them would be Delete.
7. Tap on the option Delete and the email will move to trash.
Remember, the emails you delete on the mail app move to the trash folder. If you desire to permanently delete them then you need to visit the trash folder. Once in the trash folder, swipe over the email and hit delete. Permanently deleted emails cannot be recovered. You can also recover the email from the trash by hitting the Move to option. You can move it back to inbox or wherever you want.