Among the top cloud sharing services that exist today, Google Drive gives out the highest amount of free storage which serves as your trial package. You simply need to register a Google account and you’ll get 15 Gigabytes free storage for Google Drive. If you need more storage space, you’ll need to purchase a subscription. The next tier is $10 for 100 Gigabytes of storage.
With the notion that Google Drive is free, it also means that there’s a big chance to have people use it and abuse it for unknown reasons. This is why there’s a chance that you can get an error from Google Drive saying “Download Quota Exceeded” or “sorry, you can’t view or download this file at this time.”
What Does Download Quota Exceeded Mean?
Google Drive allows you to upload and share files with your friends freely. If you choose to share a bunch of files with a group of people, they’re all able to view it, share it themselves, or download it. But, when you see the ‘download quota exceeded for this file’ in Google drive, it means that Google has put download limits in place for that file that was shared.
If a large number of people try to download the shared file at once, Google has to put a rule in place and lock the file temporarily before the quota is reset. It can take a few days for the quota to reset if the file has stopped receiving such an excessive amount of traffic and download. To bypass the Google Drive download limit, the request for downloads of the file has to significantly drop in order for you to have the chance to download it again.
If after a while, the file continues to receive lots of downloads, the download quota limit will still be exceeded and you won’t be able to download the file until it stops receiving so many requests.
How to Bypass Google Drive Quota Exceeded
You won’t be able to view or download the file that you’ve been given access to until the quota limit for the file has stopped being exceeded. Usually, when the quota limit has been exceeded, the file has been shared on a website, or social media, which causes a surge of traffic to the file. If you leave the file for 24-48 hours, then the download requests for the file showed have slowed down a lot, which means that quota will no longer be exceeded.
Downloading It From A Shortcut Drive to Bypass Quota Exceeded
If you’ve waited the 24-48 hour grace been, and the download quota limit is still being exceeded, you’ll need to bypass the download restriction by starting by viewing the file on the preview page, starring it, then adding it to a shortcut drive to download it.
1. Go to Google Drive and make sure that you’re signed in to the account you want to download the shared file for.
2. Then, you need to find the file that the download quota has been exceeded for. To remove this restriction, a few modifications will have to be made to the file.
3. Once you’ve visited the file, you need to click on the address bar and hight ‘drive/folders’ in the URL.
4. You want to replace the highlight ‘drive/folders’ with a ‘file/d’ and hit enter. Once you’ve hit enter, you can refresh the page.
5. Once you’ve entered, you should be on the files preview page. Here, you should see a black screen saying ‘No preview available’.
6. Select the dotted verticle lines to access the menu and select Add star.
7. Go back to your drive and you need to create a folder that you want this file to be housed in. Make sure you choose a memorable name.
8. In the folders section in the left panel, you want to choose Starred to access the file you’ve Starred.
9. Right-click the file that has exceeded the download quota and select Add shortcut to Drive.
10. You’ll now be asked for the location that you want to add the shortcut. From here, you want to go to the folder that you created and select it. Once you’ve found it, select Add Shortcut.
11. Once you’ve added the shortcut, you want to go back to your drive and select the folder that you’ve created. In here, you should see the shortcut for the file that you’ve wanted to download.
12. Right-click on the folder or file that you want to download and select Download.
13. In the bottom right corner, you should see that the file is downloading. During this process, the file will be compressed into a zip, then it’ll download. So now you’ve bypassed the download quota exceeded for this file limit.
Downloading A Copy To Bypass Quota Exceeded
Another way that you can bypass the Google Drive download limit is to get a sharable link to the file, organize it, make a copy, then download it. Doing this will give you a copy of the file that no one else can download, so it’s not possible for it to have exceeded the download quota since you’re the only one that has access to it.
Go to the home of Google Drive. From here, locate the file. If the file was shared to you, you can easily find this amongst the categorized items under Shared With Me to the left-hand side of the page.
- Right-click the file. This pulls up some options.
- Click Get Shareable Link. Your attention will be taken to the dialogue box that will pop up. This will contain the direct link of the object that you’re trying to open or download. You can attempt to access the link but it will show you the error message.
- Click on the Google Drive icon. This is to the left of the print icon. This will allow you to add this item to your drive.
- Click Organize and select a folder. This is the folder the file will be in whenever you need to access it.
- Locate and right-click the file.
- Select Make A Copy.
- Right-click that file and select Download.
The idea behind the process that you went through is to get ownership of the file that you’re trying to download. It would appear that the limitations and rules on the use of Google drive is based on the collaborative nature for which it was intended.
Multiple downloads of big files through Google Drive puts a strain on the servers which can affect the experience for more than one person attempting to download the file.
If a lot of people have the download link to the file that you were trying to access, chances are that they also may have encountered the Download Quota Exceeded error just like you. This quota is refreshed every 24 hours so this will be quite a long wait if you’re working on a project and need your files as soon as possible.
Pro Tip: if this hasn’t worked out for you, or you may have exceeded your allocated Google drive storage, you can try to contact the sender or the owner of the file. Let them know what happened and if it could be available through other means. There are various file-sharing programs and cloud sharing services that specialize in big file transfers.
If you found this article useful, please leave a comment below and subscribe to our newsletter.