It’s not surprising that with the onset of the internet, you can find anything online through the power of the search engines. Just type in the keyword you’re looking for and then you’ll be instantly shown the most relevant results.
On top of that, you can use the internet to find people. That’s right. Social media has made it possible for people to find people. For most of us, that sounds something like a thing of the future but it’s here now and possible for everyone.
Facebook is the largest social media platform so it’s the first place you should be when you want to find someone you’re trying to get more information about.
If the person you’re looking for is location specific, you can use Facebooks special feature to find people depending on their location. This narrows down the search so you don’t get a bunch of random people with the same name.
The first way to find people on Facebook is through the desktop version of the social media platform. You’ll be needing an internet connection, your laptop or desktop, and a web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
To find people by city and name:
- Login to your Facebook account. If you don’t have one, you’ll need to sign up for one. After you’ve logged on to your account, point your attention to the search bar over by the top left-hand side of the page.
- Enter the name of the person you’re looking for. The smart search feature will let you choose from available options.
- Click on the People tab to filter results. This eliminates Facebook pages, places, and groups. By the left-hand side, you’ll see some more filters. Point your attention to the topmost which is labeled City.
- Click on the Choose a City option. This will allow you to type in a City you’d like to focus on. The smart search feature will let you choose the appropriate city from a drop-down menu.
- Find the person you’re looking for.
This next version is using the Facebook mobile app. You’ll need your mobile phone with the app installed and an active network connection.
- Open Facebook on your phone. If you don’t have it installed, you can get it via Google Play. You can also download the APK version of the app and manually install it. Once you’ve accessed the app, you’ll see the dashboard immediately. Focus your attention on the top portion which is the search bar.
- Type in the name of the person.
- Tap on See results. On the top portion, the filter for the results will be available.
- Click People. This will filter the search results depending on the city of the person you’re looking for.
- Click on City at the top.
- Enter the name of the city. It will pull up smart search suggestions. Afterwards, you can scroll down to check the results according to the location of the person you’re looking for.
What to do If you Didn’t Find the Person
You can also tweak your search results by changing a few things like search for a full name or a nickname or for an alias. You can also include education or work organization which can help narrow down the results. If you’re looking for businesses, stores, and brands, Facebook can also pull up relevant results for that.
Pro tip: When I do this, I usually use the desktop or laptop version because it will allow me to search people who are not in my network, meaning I can go beyond friends of friends.
Pro tip: On the desktop version of Facebook, you’ll notice that if you do the search, you can select the All tab rather than the People tab. You’ll find that you can search by tagged location and by date using this feature. This will help you do searches for other objects like images, videos, and text posts. However, private posts will not be included in the search results.
No matter what type of device you’ll use, Facebook will let you use its features and functionalities to its full extent. You only need to choose which type of filters and keywords to use.
Lastly, there are other social media platforms that are available for people searching. Consider trying them out as well.
If you found this article helpful, please leave a comment below and subscribe to our newsletter.