Find My Friends is an app that you can use to share your location with the people that you know. This platform allows you to see if a friend is on the way to the restaurant you’re waiting for them at or if your spouse has left the house to get groceries yet.
The app is simple, and anyone in your contact list who installs the app in their phone can share their location or receive yours. It will put both of you on a map, and you’ll be able to see update whenever you or the other person moves. You can even chat on the app and customize the alerts that you receive.
If you don’t want to be tracked, you can just turn off location tracking on your phone. However, if you need to leave Find My Friends on, but give those who can see your location a fake location, there are a few ways that you can do that.
Using a Burner Phone
If you use an iPhone and Android, both require different steps to have an accurate fake location, but one easy way that you can deceive others about your location is by using a burner phone. A burner is a secondary phone that you can download Find My Friends on.
Log out of Find My Friends on your primary phone and log into it on your burner phone. You can then leave your burner phone at home or where you need your friends to think you are while you go about your business.
There are a few things you should know about using a burner phone. If someone is trying to chat with you on the Find My Friends app, then you won’t be able to answer since you left the burner phone.
You will also have to continuously check to see if you set up everything correctly when you use the burner phone. Besides these two issues, using a burner phone is an easy way to fool whoever you to with Find My Friends.
Using iPhone’s ITools
The program iTools will cost you around $30.95, and there are other features included besides fooling GPS. It will give a free trial for the first use, but after that you will have to pay the fee.
You will have to run this on your laptop and then connect your iPhone to the computer with a cable. Your phone charger cable should work fine. Once you download iTools, here’s what you have to do. You will have to leave your computer plugged into the laptop, even when you leave, for this to work.
1. Launch the program on your computer. You may have to wait a minute or so for it to open on your computer.
2. At the top of the screen, you will see a blue border. Towards the left side of the screen, you will see a toolbox icon that is labeled “toolbox.” Click on this icon so that you can be take to a screen that shows you all the tool features that the program can perform.
3. On the left side of the new screen, you will see a header titled “Device Toolkits” and underneath this section, you need to find a location icon. Click on the icon that is labeled “Virtual Location.”
4. You will see a box with a map on it appear. You will be able to enter the location that you want to be your fake location in the search bar at the top pf the screen. Once you type your location in, press the blue Go button to the right of the search bar.
5. Once the map moves you to that location, you will see a red dot appear over it and a white box. Click the “Move here” blue button in the white box.
Your location will now be moved, and this will be your location in Find My Friends also.
Using Android’s Fake GPS Location
This app is located in your Google Play Store. Since all phones have GPS enabled, it translates signals from satellites to let your phone know where you are. It isn’t hard to get your Android device to use a different location supplied from an app on your phone, but it does take a few steps.
1. Download Fake GPS Location from your Google Play Store.
2. Open the Settings menu on your phone. The icon resembles a gear.
3. Scroll down to “About Phone” and tap it. It’s towards the bottom of the settings menu.
4. Now, tap on “Software Information.”
5. You will see a few pieces of information about your device listed there. You’ll need to tap the Build Number seven times in a row fast. You will have to enter your phone passcode and then you’ll have developer options turned on.
6. Make sure that your developer options are on. Go back to the Settings main screen and scroll to the bottom of it. You should see the Developer Options button at the bottom of the settings screen. Tap this.
7. At the top of the screen, it should say “On” in the upper left corner of the screen.
8. Scroll down to the middle of the Developer options screen until you see the option that says, “Select Mock Location app.” Tap this option and a menu will appear where you can select the Fake GPS Location app that you just downloaded.
9. Launch the Fake GPS Location. A map will appear on the screen.
10. To change your location, drag your finger across the screen until you see the orange pointer move. You can zoom in by using the + button in the right corner of the screen.