A GZ file is a compressed file that is created using the gzip compression tool. It was originally created to replace Compress in UNIX.
Most of the time this kind of file compression is used in UNIX and Linux system, but that isn’t the only place it CAN be used. A compressed file is exactly what it sounds like. It is a folder with multiple files that have been shrunk in size to fit on a smaller amount of memory.
The only problem with compressed files is being able to extract just one file from the group of files that are included. It is possible though on your PC, Mac, iPhone, and Android to do just that.
1. First, you’ll need to install an app called 7-Zip. Go to http://www.7-zip.org/download.html and click download. When it’s downloaded, double click the setup file to start setup. Click Yes when it asks you to and then click Install. After the installation is done you can click Close and you should be ready to go
2. Open the Start menu by clicking the Windows logo in the bottom left of your computer screen
3. Open your File Explorer by clicking on it or by typing it in to the search bar. It is the icon that looks like a folder in a stand
4. Find the folder that has your GZ File in it and click on it-you may have to dig a little
5. Now, click the Home tab at the top left of the File Explorer window to open the toolbar.
6. Next, you will need to click Copy path, which is in the Clipboard section of the toolbar
7. Then, you open up the app you downloaded named 7-Zip which has a black and white icon
8. At the top of the 7-Zip window there is an address bar you need to click.
9. Now you can enter the GZ folders address by pressing Ctrl and V together and then press Enter.
10. Click the folder icon on the far left side of the address bar to select the whole GZ file which will let you extract everything out of it and into a regular folder
11. Then, click Extract in the top left part of the window and a pop up should come up
12. Finally, you need to select an Extraction Destination which you do by clicking the Three Horizontal Dots next to the Extract to field on the far right side and then clicking the destination and then click OK
13. The file will start to be extracted from the GZ folder and into a regular folder and once it is done, you can view the files from the folder regularly
14. You can also open a zip file just by right clicking on the folder and choosing Extract All and choose the destination
1. First, you will need to download an app named The Unarchiver if you don’t already have it on your Mac.
Open your Mac’s App Store. Then, click the search bar in the top right corner of the App Stores window. Type The Unarchiver and then press Enter. Now, click Install App and type in your Apple ID password if needed.
2. After it is installed, open Spotlight and type in the name of the app then click it
3. Click the Archive Formats tab which is at the top of the window
4. Now, check the Gzip file and Gzip Tar Archive boxes and this will make sure you can extract and/or open GZ folders
5. Next, open Finder which is the Blue and White Face icon in your Dock
6. Now go to your GZ folder, you may have to go through a couple folders to get there
7. You can Extract the GZ folder by double clicking it and in some cases you will have to choose a Save Location and click Extract in the bottom right corner. After you do this, you will be able to open the extracted folder like a regular folder
You may need to change some settings on your Mac. If you see a message saying you cant extract to the location you chose then you need to follow these steps.
8. Click the Apple menu icon in the top right of your screen
9. Click System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy
10. Click the Privacy tab and then click the Accessibility section
11. Now, click the Padlock in the bottom left corner and enter your password
12. Click the Plus Sign and choose The Unarchiver in the Applications folder
13. Click Open and Lock the menu.
You are also able to open your GZ folder by selecting it then clicking File. The click Open With and select The Unarchiver.
iPhone or iPad
1. Download iZip from your App Store. Open the App Store > Tap Search and then tap the Search Bar > Type the name of the app iZip, and then tap Search > Finally, tap Get and enter your Apple ID password or Touch ID.
2. Go to your GZ folder and open it in your Google Drive or a similar app. Don’t use your email to open it because the majority of Email apps can’t open GZ folders
3. Now, tap Share, which looks like a box with an up-facing arrow, and a pop up menu should appear
4. Scroll through your options of places to share to and select Copy to iZip and iZip will open
5. Tap the X when the promotion pops up, if you don’t see a prompt then you don’t have to worry about doing this
6. Now, a pop up will appear asking if you “Would like to extract all files?” tap OK and this will extract the files and open up your phone to where they are stored so you can access them
1. First you need to download the GZ folder to your Android devices internal storage from the app that it is in. If you already have it stored to your Android don’t worry about doing this step
2. Next, you’ll need to download AndroZip from the Play Store. Open the Play Store > Type AndroZip into the search bar > Tap the app named AndroZip FREE File Manager > Tap Install and Accept and when its done downloading tap Open.
3. Now, tap Continue which should be in the middle of the pop up menu that appears when the app opens
4. Tap Downloads and this will open a list of your Recent Downloads. You may have to tap the Three Horizontal Lines button to see this
5. Tap on your GZ folder and there should be a pop up that appears
6. Tap on the Extract file here button which is at the top of the pop up window. This will extract the files into your Downloads folder in AndroZip. You can also tap Extract to and select the folder you want to move the files to.