On your iOS device, there’s a Mail app that allows you to send and receive emails. This app comes preinstalled on your iOS device and you can configure it by selecting the email provider you’re with, then entering your username and password to login in.
After you send an email using the Mail app, it usually stays in the outbox before it’s sent to the recipient. The outbox is the holding area where your emails go when you click Send and wait until the app can forward it to the Mail server. The period that your email stays in the outbox is relatively small and it shouldn’t take a long time, however, there can be an issue that causes the email to stay in the outgoing box for a long time.
The Reason Emails are Stuck in the Outbox
The main reason emails will get stuck in the outbox on the outbox is that the mail server is offline. The mail server is responsible for sending emails to the recipient and if the mail server is offline, then emails will remain in the outgoing box until the server is back online and the emails send.
Another reason why emails won’t send is because of your internet connection. You’ll need to get your iPhone or iPad connected to the internet in order for emails to leave the outbox.
1. Turn On Airplane Mode
The first way to fix this is to turn on Airplane Mode. This disrupts your internet connection by blocking the signal on your device. Using this method requires a few more steps, but it can remove the emails stuck in the outbox.
1. Turn On Airplane Mode. You can do this by swiping up from the control center and clicking the airplane icon.
2. Restart your iPhone or iPad. When your device restarts, make sure Airplane Mode stays on.
3. Open the Mail app.
4. Select the email account that’s having an issue. If this is happening to multiple email accounts, then you’ll need to repeat these steps for multiple email accounts.
5. Click Outbox. If you no longer see any emails here in your Outbox, it means that the emails stuck in here have already been sent.
6. Click Edit in the upper-right corner.
7. Select the emails in the Outbox.
8. Click Delete. Once this is done, you can turn Airplane mode back on and you should be able to send emails without them staying in the outbox for so long.
2. Force Restart your Device
If your emails still won’t leave the Outbox, the problem may with your device and not your internet connection. There may be a software problem within your device that stops emails from sending. The easiest way to troubleshoot the software would be to force restart your device.
When you for restart your device, the software is refreshed and it’s checked for any minor errors, these errors are them fixed whilst the device is restarting.
If you have an iPhone 7 or above:
1. Hold the sleep/wake key and the volume down key.
2. Wait for the Apple logo to appear
If you have an iPhone X or 8:
1. Quickly press the release the volume up button.
2. Quickly press the release the volume down button.
3. Press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
To force restart your iPad:
1. Hold down the Home button and the power button.
2. Keep both buttons held until the Apple logo appears.
3. Let go of the buttons.
After force restarting your device, you need to check if the emails stuck in the Outbox have been sent. If they still haven’t been sent, you can reconnect your WIFI and restart the app and check if they’ve been sent.