As a TikTok user, you have the power to create a duet with another TikTok user. You can create a reactionary video that plays alongside the chosen video. For example, you could choose a dancing video and dance in sync with the original video. You could create a comedic video. When it comes to TikTok, your imagination is the limit.
The question is, how do you duet on TikTok?
How to Duet on TikTok
1. Locate and launch the TikTok app.
2. Sign into TikTok with your TikTok account, if you aren’t already logged in.
3. Now, start by searching for video you want to create a duet for. A good start is to tap the “Me” tabin the bottom right corner and select Following.
4. Select a friend. Afterwards, find the video you want to duet for and select the video.
5. Once redirected to your friend’s video, tap the Share button on the right hand side, the arrow that’s pointing to the right. This will open your Share menu.
6. At the bottom of your screen, in the Share menu, tap Duet.
Before you start your duet, take a look around and see what you have. On the right hand side is the video you are creating a duet for. In the upper right portion of your screen you’ll see various tools. At the bottom of your screen you’ll see the Record button, which you’ll use to start your duet video.
7. Make any editing choices now such as timing, effects and filters, and so on. You’ll find them in the top right corner.
8. When you’re ready to shoot your duet video, tap the Record button at the bottom of your screen, the red button with a camera icon.
9. When you’re finished, tap the Stop Recording button. Then hit the Checkmark to the right.
10. If you haven’t already, you have another opportunity to add effects, text, stickers and filters. When ready, select Next.
11. Set your privacy settings and link to any other social media accounts of your choice. Afterwards, tap Post.
Some Limitations to be Aware Of
Now that you understand how a duet works, you should be aware of a few caveats that come with the territory. You may or may not have realized by now that some users cannot accept your duet. And there’s a good reason for that.
1. Private TikTok Accounts
Unfortunately, it isn’t possible to perform a duet with another TikTok user is private, and hasn’t added you as a follower. If you sent a request to a TikTok user asking to follow, and it hasn’t been decided on or you were straight out denied, then you cannot perform a duet with that person.
If you attempt a duet with someone who has a private account, and you are NOT a follower, you will be met by TikTok’s own message stating “Duet has been disabled by user.”
2. Uploading Duet Videos
Unfortunately, you are unable to upload an already filmed duet video. If you wish to perform a duet, you have to do it by using the Duet menu option.
However, you are still able to make two separate videos and stitch them together. Or, alternatively, you can create a single video with two people sharing the screen. Aside from that, you cannot upload a duet video straight from your gallery. All you’ll need is some editing software.
3. Making it Private
There’s only so much your private settings will do with your duet. Before you upload your duet to TikTok, you can take the opportunity to set your privacy settings. In doing so, you have the option of hiding the video from every, or friends only or just yourself. You do not, however, have the option of hiding it from everyone except the other person(s) involved.
On the other hand, you could simply save the video and send it to your friend outside of TikTok. They could then take it and do whatever they want with it.
4. Live Streaming Blocks Duets
So, you could be a follower of a TikTok user, and they’ve accepted your proposal to a duet. However, you’re running into an issue where the duet won’t turn on. What gives?
What you’re experiencing is the other person currently live streaming a TikTok video. You cannot duet with another TikTok user while their live stream is, well, live. You’ll have to wait until they’re finished.
Duets can be a fun way of reacting with popular TikTok users. Not only is it fun for the TikTok users involved, but it can be a great way of boosting a TikTok user’s popularity. In fact, if you have a growing popularity, or perhaps you’re bold enough to outright directly message a popular TikTok user for a duet. Just don’t expect a great response. Sometimes a nasty message can be sent your way.