Download YouTube videos to watch offline has always been a common problem that consumers have. Especially Apple users because the App Store doesn’t contact any reliable apps that can allow you to save YouTube videos straight to your camera roll. Also, third-party apps in the App Store don’t always last long and are usually taken down.
Down below are all the possible ways to download YouTube videos straight to your camera roll so you can view them offline. You can even use the apps below to download the videos to albums in the Photos app.
1. Save Videos from the YouTube App
In the App Store, you may have noticed that there aren’t many third-party apps that will allow you to download YouTube videos. This is because Google has had a crackdown on the apps and has removed them from the App Store to stop Apple users downloading YouTube content using YouTubes Premium services.
If you want a sure-fire way to download videos, you can stick with YouTube Premium. This combines YouTube Red and YouTube Music so that you can get YouTube premium service all in one package. The only downside to using this method to watch videos offline is that the downloaded videos are stored in the YouTube app, not in your camera roll.
If you’re unsure of whether you want to follow through with this method because of the payment, you can use the 30-day free trial to save as many videos as you want offline. After the 30-day trial, if you cancel the service, you can still see your saved videos and watch them offline. But if you continue to go through with the service, you’ll have to pay $11.99 a month.
To save YouTube videos with YouTube Premium:
1. Open YouTube app and play a video.
2. Tap Download.
3. Select the resolution and hit Subscribe now. From here, you’ll need to authenticate your purchase.
4. Tap on Downloaded > Library. From here, you’ll be able to see all of the downloaded videos under Available offline.
5. Tap on Downloads to see them all.
The downside to this is that you’re only allowed to view these videos offline in the YouTube app as long as you have YouTube Premium. Another downside is that you can’t save the videos in the Photos app.
You can cancel the premium service as soon as you download all of the videos offline and you’ll still be able to have to free trial period for up to 30 days. To do this > tap on your profile icon, tap Paid memberships > tap Manage App Subscriptions > authenticate yourself > tap Cancel Trail.
This may not be the option you were looking for, but it’s the only ethical and legitimate way to download YouTube videos and watch them offline. There’s no app in the App Store that will allow you to download YouTube videos straight to your camera roll and if there is, Google will crack down on it anytime soon.
2. Save Videos with YouTube++
If you don’t like the idea of having to pay for a premium service just to watch YouTube offline and not have the chance to download the videos to your camera roll, you can use YouTube++. YouTube++ is an app that allows you to download YouTube videos straight to your camera roll but the downside to this is that your device needs to be jailbroken.
Jailbroken device can bypass the App Store and download third-party apps from apps like Cydia. Jailbreaking your device remove limits and allows you to do a lot more. If you don’t mind jailbreaking your device, you can download YouTube++.
Settings > [Device name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Back Up Now.
Update your iPhone:
Before you jailbreak your iPhone, you need update your iPhone to prevent anything from going wrong. If you try to jailbreak your iPhone on a software that’s out of date, it could cause problems. Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Check for Updates > Install.
1. Go to and download Zjailbreak on your iOS device. If you do this on your computer, it won’t work as you need Safari to access this site.
2. Go to the Pangu page to Download and Install Ziyu.
3. Open Ziyu app and tap Copy on Cydia.
4. Go back to the Ziyu app and tap Extract repo.
5. Paste the copied link from the repo your copied.
6. Click Extract to jailbreak the iPhone.
7. Open Cydia and install. If you’re having issues when trying to install YouTube++, you can use another third-party app to install YouTube++.
After you’ve installed YouTube ++, you can download YouTube videos straight to your camera roll an unlimited amount of times.
3. Third Party App from App Store
If you were once able to download a YouTube video from an app straight to your camera roll, you should be aware that most of the apps that allowed you to do this are no longer available in the App Store. For example, Video Download allowed you to download videos straight to your camera roll but it’s now been removed from the app store.
You can use third-party apps in the App Store to save YouTube videos within the app so you can watch them offline. This will allow you to download as many videos as you want within the app and watch them offline. You can also download YouTube videos as MP3 and listen to them without WIFI.
4. Online Tools
You can use online tools to save YouTube videos to your camera roll. If you’re familiar with copying YouTube URLs and pasting them into an online tool, then you can use this method to download videos on your iPhone or iPad.
To download videos using an online tool:
1. Go to the App Store and download Document by Readdle.
2. Open the app and click on the Safari icon in the lower-right. This is the compass icon. This will launch a browser and here, you need to search for savefromnet.
3. Click on en.savefrom.net link.
4. Go to YouTube and copy the videos URL that you want to download. If you don’t have the app, you can do this in Safari.
5. Go back to Document and paste the YouTube videos URL. You can do this by holding on the search box and click the Paste option.
6. Tap the green tick and click Download. From here, you can change the title of the video.
7. Click Done and the video will start to download.
8. In the menu section of Document 5, click Documents to see the downloaded video. The video will be automatically saved to your camera roll after it’s finished downloading, but it won’t be in the video’s album.
9. To move it to the video’s album, hold the video and drag it towards the left screen menu list.
10. Hold and drag it to Photos then to All Photos.
11. Go to Photos > Albums and the video should be in the video’s album.