Before Netflix offered the offline feature — you download content while online so you can still view it when there’s no connection — there weren’t many streaming apps that allowed you to use their services and content sans a connection.
It’s not such a big deal if you’re taking a small trip, but if you’re going on a long plane ride, or taking a particularly long drive then you’ll want at least a movie or two to entertain yourself during downtime.
Of course, that’s changed now with the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and many others — Plex included — allowing you to download content for offline viewing. But in the past, most people would use Showbox, a unique streaming app that also includes download support.
It still offers that option now, which is great if you don’t have a preference for one of the other streaming apps or services.
Regardless, getting the content to download isn’t necessarily the tricky part. It’s getting it to download to an external SD card, which usually has more free space that can be quite the challenge.
Here’s exactly how to do that to save a little space on your phone, and keep you entertained even when there are no wireless connections available:
Download Showbox Movies to SD Card (External Storage)
In order to download movies and content directly to an SD card, you need the help of a download manager app.
The easiest to use is Advanced Download Manager, but as its Android, you’re free to use whichever tool you want.
- Open Showbox on your Android device and go to Settings. Tap on the three horizontal lines in the left-hand corner to open the sidebar and select Settings.
- Navigate to the Downloading sub-menu. You’ll see an entry labeled Folder for Files along with a listed directory — this is the default save location for downloads handled by the app.
- Tap on the directory and choose Access to SD Card in the menu.
- Under Open From, choose your SD card directory in the list. It should open the Android file window.
- Tap the menu and choose New Folder to create a new folder. Name your new folder, preferably something like “Showbox Movies” and then choose it as the storage directory.
- Return to Showbox and find the movie you want to download. To the right of the movie poster (and below the description), you’ll see quality options. Don’t choose a quality.
- Tap the menu button (three dots) and select Other Player.
- Below the quality of the movie you wish to watch — 720p, for example — you will now see an option labeled Watch Now. Select that and you will be presented with a list of media players on your device that you can use to open the file. Select ADM and choose Just Once if you only want to do it this once, or Always if you wish to use ADM every time.
- ADM will ask you to name the file, choose whatever you like. Then select Start to begin downloading the content.
The movie or show will download to the specified directory on your SD card.
Downloading Showbox Movies
Just to be sure, instructions are included to download movies and content to your phone. Once you know how to do this, you can move on to the SD card portion.
- Open Showbox and find the movie or show you’d like to download.
- To the right of the movie poster (and below the description), you’ll see quality options. Choose the quality you’d like to download. Keep in mind, the higher the quality the more space it will take on your phone or SD card.
- Tap on the Download button and the movie will begin downloading to your device.
That’s it! You’ve downloaded a movie to your device for offline viewing.
To see what content you have stored on your phone currently, tap the menu button in the top left (three horizontal lines). Then, select Downloads from the menu that appears.
You should now see all the movies and content you have stored on your device.
This method will definitely help you conserve storage space on your internal phone storage, and is great if you want to be able to swap the SD card to other devices.
They should also be able to take advantage of downloaded content once you plug in the card.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to respond in a timely manner.