If you’re a hardcore Apple fan, it’s likely you own more than one Apple device. Whether those devices include an iPhone, a Macbook, an iPad, or all three, it can be a hassle to download your purchases separately, one by one on each device.
This is especially difficult when it comes to applications you use very often, irrespective of which device they’re on. Luckily, Apple has provided an easy way for you to download your iTunes purchases to your iPad.
Furthermore, there is an option to automatically enable downloads on your iPad by adjusting the settings on your iPad. This means that any application you purchase on one device, will automatically appear on your iPad, as long as the latter has the same Apple ID.
Follow the steps below in order to download previously purchased music and videos,
1. Open your iTunes Store application. This application tends to be on the Home page, and is purple, with a white musical note icon.
2. Towards the bottom of the screen, there will be a horizontal menu. Using this menu, click on Purchased on the lower right side of the screen. Note: You may be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. Do so accordingly.
3. Towards the center of the screen on the top, you will see an option labeled Not on This iPad. Click on this option. This will show you items you purchased on other devices using the same Apple ID.
4. On the top of the screen, you will notice three tabs labeled Movies, Music, and TV Shows. These labels represent the type of media you may have purchased. Click on the tabs accordingly, depending on which media you would like to download on to your iPad.
- If you click Music, click All Songs on the upper-left in order to see all the songs you previously purchased that aren’t on your iPad.
- If you click TV Shows, click All TV Episodes on the upper-left in order to see all the TV shows you purchased that aren’t on your iPad.
- If you click Movies, you will see all the movies you purchased that aren’t on your iPad.
5. On the right of the items you wish to download, you will see a cloud shaped download icon. Tap the icon accordingly. Note: You may download more than one item simultaneously.
If you want to go one step further, and automatically enable application downloads to your iPad via your other Apple devices, then follow the instructions below,
1. Open the Settings application on your iPad. This application is typically on the Home screen, and is colored grey, with an icon of a gear.
2. Scroll down until you see iTunes & App Store. There will be a blue icon, with the App Store logo next to iTunes & App Store. Note: You may need to sign in using your Apple ID, if you aren’t already signed in.
3. You will see an Automatic Downloads heading. Under this heading there will be toggle options for applications such as Music, Apps, Books & Audiobooks, and Updates. Depending on your needs, enable the toggle button by clicking accordingly. The toggle should turn green when enabled. Anything you enable will automatically download on your iPad from your other devices, as long as the same Apple ID is used on those devices.
Now anything you download on one Apple device, whether music, videos, or applications, will automatically download on to your iPad, as long as the iPad is using the same Apple ID. If you’re downloading large files such as movies or television shows, try to ensure that your iPad is connected to Wi-Fi in order to speed up the download process.
If you want to download more than one song at a time, make sure to use the Download All option in order to speed up the process. If for some reason, you’re unable to carry out the above tasks on your iPad, ensure that the iPad is using the same Apple ID as your other Apple devices. If the iPad uses a different Apple ID you won’t be able to download purchases from devices using a different Apple ID.
On the right of the items you wish to download, you will see a cloud shaped download icon. Tap the icon accordingly. Note: You may download more than one item simultaneously.