You may not realize how many voicemails you have until you open your inbox. You see a call, let it ring, and then it goes to voicemail. You listen to it and then leave it in your inbox. They voicemails stack up and one day you might realize that you have tons of voicemails that you need to delete.
You will also eventually need to delete them since if your inbox fills, you will no longer be able to receive any voicemails. You can delete them using the voicemail app, calling a number, or if you don’t like receiving voicemails, you can disable them all together.
1. Using the Phone App
1. Open the phone app. It will usually resemble an old phone against a colored background. You may be able to find it on your home screen, but if you can’t, you can swipe up on the screen and search the word “Phone” in the search bar at the top of the screen. You will see a dial pad appear.
2. Dial the number for Voicemail, which differs depending on your mobile carrier. Dial 1 if you have T-Mobile, *86 for Verizon, your phone number for Sprint, and 1 for AT&T. if
3. After dialing, press the green circle to make the call.
4. You may be prompted for a password if you set one. Type it and then put a # sign at the end.
5. You will begin to hear the voicemails that you have in your inbox. Press 9 to save a voicemail. Press 7 to delete a voicemail.
6. Press the red button to hang up. It may be located at the bottom center of your screen.
2. Using the App
Deleting individual voicemails:
1. Launch the app. The icon varies from phone to phone. You can swipe up and use the search bar located at the top of your screen. Type “Voicemail” so that you can locate where the app is in your phone.
2. When you open the app, you will see all the voicemails that you have received. Before you begin, you may want to search through all the ones that you have received before you begin deleting them in case you need to keep one of them.
3. Tap one of the voicemails. You will see the controls to play or pause the voicemail.
4. Listen to it if it is one that hasn’t been heard. You can do this by pressing the sideways triangle. Speed to the end by using the line underneath the controls if you’d like.
5. On the right side of the screen, the last of the options, you should see a small trash can icon. pressing this icon may permanently delete the voicemail or ask confirmation about whether you’d like to delete the email. The layout and icons may vary on your phone depending on the make, model, and mobile carrier.
6. You may need to go to the trash folder and empty it. Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the screen and go to the trash folder.
7. Tap “empty trash now” at the top of the screen.
Deleting multiple voicemails Using the App:
1. Launch the app. Its icon varies, but it usually is 2 circles connected with a line at the bottom.
2. You will now see a screen with all of the voicemails that are in your inbox. Tap and hold on one of the voicemails that you want to delete. You should see a check mark appear in the profile circle to the left of the voicemail.
3. Now, tap all of the voicemails that you want to delete. You should see checkmarks appear next to all of them.
4. Tap the trash can in the top right corner of the screen. This action may put them in your trash folder.
6. Now, press the three horizontal lines in the top left of your screen.
7. Tap on the option in the menu that appears that says “Trash.”
8. You will now see all of the voicemails that you just deleted.
9. Tap the “Empty trash now” phrase at the top of your screen.
3. Disabling Voicemail
If you would prefer not to receive any voicemails, you can follow the steps below to disable voicemail:
1. Launch the phone app. It should look like an old phone against a colored background. if you cannot see it on your home screen, you can swipe up on your screen and use the search bar at the top of the screen to search for it.
2. You will see a dial pad appear. Dial a number, which varies depending on the mobile carrier that you use. Dial 611 for AT&T and T-Mobile, *2 for Sprint, and for Verizon dial 1-800-922-0204.
3. Press the green call button at the bottom center of the screen.
4. Follow the instructions that you hear on the call. You will be asked to give account information and part of your social security number to verify your identity. You will be able to speak or use your dial pad to provide this information
5. You will need to choose the menu option that seems the most related to voicemail options.
6. Ask to talk to a customer representative.
7. Ask to disable your voicemail once you get a representative on the phone.