Sometimes we get caught doing things that are funny and rather embarrassing. Worse, your best friends will get a photo or a video of it. It can be embarrassing each time you recall bad moments that were captured. Unfortunately, Facebook messenger chats won’t allow you to simply just brush it aside.
There a few ways to delete the shared photos on your Facebook Messenger so that you can’t be reminded of any moments each time you look at them.
1. Delete Photos through Facebook Messenger
- Open Facebook Messenger. From here, you’ll see a list of your conversations.
- Scroll to the image you want to be deleted.
- Tap and hold on the image you want to delete. This will pull up the menu for added options.
- Click the bin icon. The lower right button with the trash bin icon will let you delete the image. This action cannot be undone so choose carefully. Now that you’ve deleted the image you won’t be able to see it in the content of your shared photos.
- The photo is no longer part of your shared content.
Now, Facebook doesn’t give the assurance that this photo has been also deleted for the other side of the conversation because the data has only been deleted in your device and not in the archive of the cloud servers.
2. Deleting the entire conversation in Facebook Messenger
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap and hold on the conversation. This will show you an additional menu.
- Select Delete. The app will ask you if you want to delete the conversation.
- Select Delete Conversation.
This may be the case for your view but there is a possibility that the person on the other side of the conversation may still have their own archive of the shared photos so there’s an added step to this ordeal.
Added step: you must get your friends to also delete their copy of the content in order to have this successfully deleted for both sides of the conversation.
So that concludes our quick guide on getting rid of some the shared photos and videos you may have on Facebook Messenger.
In the interest of security, there is no absolute assurance that the photos you’ve sent over Facebook Messenger are completely deleted in the cloud. This is due to the fact that there’s still a specific amount of data that is stored somewhere between the device and the data centers of Facebook.
If you found this guide useful and helpful in any way, please leave a comment below, and subscribe to our newsletter.