Gmail is the most recognized mail service in the world. Approximately 1.5 billion people use Gmail services. Most of these users prefer to access Gmail on their iPhones and for that reason, Gmail App is among the top 5 most downloaded apps on the App Store. Most of the users are aware of Gmail’ functionality barring how to delete emails on the iPhone.
There are actually two ways to delete emails from Gmail on your iPhone. The first one is a straightforward process that doesn’t have to do anything with the Settings. The second procedure, however, depends on how you set up your app and therefore needs your attention in iPhone’ settings. First, have a look at the simple method:
1. Launch the Gmail App on your phone.
2. It will take you to the Inbox where you will be able to see all your emails barring the spams/junk.
3. Now gently tap-hold on the email you want to delete. If you want to delete more than one emails then tap-hold on any email until a tick appears before it. This tick means that it has been selected.
4. Now run through the emails and keep tapping the ones you want to delete.
5. Once done, locate the Delete icon on the top of the app’ screen.
6. Your selected emails will be temporarily deleted from the inbox.
7. Go back, open the folder Bin.
8. Select the emails you have recently deleted or tap on the option Empty Bin now.
9. Doing this will permanently delete the emails with no option for recovery.
Adjusting the Settings
Gmail App, by default, do not let you delete the email if you swipe left over it. The email gets archived and move to another folder. If you want the feature where you just swipe left on the email to delete it then you may have to change the settings of the app. it is quite a simple procedure, and you can do it by:
1. Go to the Settings of your iPhone.
2. Tap on the option Passwords & Accounts. It was formerly Accounts & Passwords.
3. Now pick the mail account which in this case would be Gmail. Tap on it.
4. Tap on the option Account.
5. Scroll down, locate the option Advanced and tap on it.
6. Again, scroll down and locate the option Deleted Mailbox and enable this option.
7. Enabling this option will now let you delete the emails by swiping over them.
8. The other option Archived Mailbox is usually enabled and therefore doesn’t let you delete the emails by swiping over them.
9. Once done, tap on the option Accounts located at the top-left of your screen.
10. Now locate the option Done at the top-right of your screen and tap on it.
Now, relaunch Gmail, and try swiping over the email you want to delete. It will send the email to the folder Bin instead of sending it to the Folder All Mails.