When YouTube insists on remembering every single video you’ve watched (especially the bizarre part of YouTube), it’s good to know that you can actually clear your search history and your watch history.
Now, YouTube will only keep track of your search history and watch history when you are signed in with your Google account. If you aren’t signed in, you don’t have to worry about anything. The steps to clearing your history are pretty easy and, in fact, if you don’t want YouTube collecting your search history or your watch history, those steps are there, too.
Clearing YouTube Search History via PC
1. Locate and launch your preferred web browser and head on over to YouTube’s homepage.
2. Log into YouTube with the YouTube account that you want to remove the search history for, if you aren’t already logged in.
3. On the left hand side is a panel. In the column, locate and click History. If you don’t see it, click the “hamburger” menu icon in the top left corner of the page, the three horizontal lines. You’ll find “History” near the upper portion of the column.
4. On the right hand side you’ll see a list, which is your “History type.” First, choose Watch history. Then, at the bottom, click CLEAR ALL WATCH HISTORY. Confirm the deletion by clicking CLEAR WATCH HISTORY.
If you’re interested in stopping YouTube from keeping your watch history, click PAUSE WATCH HISTORY just below “CLEAR ALL WATCH HISTORY.”
5. Go back to “History type” and choose Search history this time. Then, head back down and click CLEAR ALL SEARCH HISTORY. When prompted, confirm the deletion by clicking CLEAR SEARCH HISTORY.
If you’re interested in stopping YouTube from keeping your search history, click PAUSE SEARCH HISTORY, just below CLEAR ALL SEARCH HISTORY.”
Clearing YouTube Search History via Mobile
1. Locate and launch the YouTube app from one of your mobile device’s home screens. If you can’t find the YouTube app, you can find it in your App Drawer, where all your currently installed apps are housed.
2. Select the profile icon in the top right corner of the screen, indicated by a “head and shoulders” icon (if you aren’t logged in). Doing so will open your Account menu.
3. Scroll down to the very bottom of the menu. When you see Settings, select it.
4. In the Settings menu, locate and select History & privacy, which is near the middle of the menu.
5. Clearing your history is a two-part process. First, choose Clear watch history.
6. Now, you’ll receive a prompt, notifying you of how extensive clearing your watch history goes. Your watch history is deleted from all devices, not just your mobile device. If you’re okay with that, choose CLEAR WATCH HISTORY.
If you want to stop YouTube from holding onto your watch history, move the slider for Pause watch history. It will turn blue.
7. Up next is choosing Clear search history.
8. You’ll get another prompt only this time you’ll be warned of your YouTube search history being scrubbed from all devices, not just the YouTube mobile app. If you’re okay with that, choose CLEAR SEARCH HISTORY.
If you want to stop YouTube from holding onto your search history, move the slider for Pause search history. It will turn blue.