We all have a habit of copying and pasting especially when it comes to passwords.
The problem with this is that the clipboard is stored in your PCs drive which means that it could get accessed and seen by anyone – especially if you’re using a public computer.
In this article, I’m going to show you how to clear your clipboard on Windows 10.
Create Shortcut to Clear Clipboard
If you frequently need to clear your clipboard because you’re always copying sensitive information, the best way to get rid of items on the clipboard would be to create a shortcut on your desktops home screen.
- Right click on your Windows desktop screen
- In the menu, go to New > Shortcut
- Copy and paste cmd /c echo. | clip for the shortcut and click Next
- Type Clear Clipboard for the shortcuts name and Finish
- The shortcut will be created in the desktop
- Double-click the shortcut to clear the clipboard
Right-click to Clear Clipboard
If you want to clear your clipboard just by doing a right-click on your desktops home screen, you can do this by editing the Registry editor.
- Hold the Windows key + R to open Run
- Open regedit
- Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
- Right click on the shell folder and go to New > Key and name the key Clear Clipboard
- Double-click on Default on the right
- Paste cmd /c echo. | clip in the Value Data
- Click on OK and close the Registry Editor
- Right click on your desktop and you’ll see Clear Clipboard in the menu
Clear Clipboard with Run
If you don’t want to have to keep going to your home screen to keep clearing the clipboard history, you can run a command to clear the clipboard regardless of what you’re doing on your PC.
- Hold down the Windows key + R to open Run
- Copy and paste cmd /c echo. | clip and click OK
- Each time you open Run and type c, the command will be suggested in Run and you can clear the clipboard each time by clicking OK
Use Print Screen
The most efficient way to wipe the clipboard’s history would be to use the prt sc button on your keyboard.
This gets rid of any text that has been copied to your clipboard and a screenshot is now stored on the clipboard instead.
If you copied and pasted a password, this is a quick way to get rid of it.
Any sensitive data is wiped as soon as you click on the prt sc button on the top right of your keyboard.
Restart your PC
Restarting your PC is the next best way to clear your clipboard.
Although it takes a while to restart your PC, this method wipes everything off your clipboard which means that you won’t have a screenshot in your clipboard, like you would if you used the print screen method.
Copy Other Text
If you have sensitive information copied to your clipboard, you can easily copy any other text on your pc that isn’t on your clipboard and replaces this with the sensitive information instead.
You can do this each time you copy sensitive data.
For example, you copied your password.
If you want to clear this, enter some text in your address bar and copy this text to replace the password that was copied to your clipboard.
Creating a shortcut to clear your clipboard is the best and most efficient method on this list.
If you have any questions, comment down below.
If you liked this article, share it and subscribe to the email newsletter.