When someone visits your Instagram profile, one of the first details someone sees is your bio, after all, it’s right there, staring them in the face. Alongside your profile picture and recent posts, your bio needs to shine through, invite other Instagram users to follow you, something clever that catches the eye. And what better way to that than centering your bio?
Centering text has a way of drawing attention, a visually appealing look that can highlight the words you wrote. For example, a few lines of a poem you wrote might be good, but center them in your bio and, for some reason, its appeal grows. Unfortunately, Instagram doesn’t have a text editing tool to center your geniusly written words, not like word processing programs do. Instead, you’ll be manipulating your bio with spaces.
Yes, spaces. It seems rather silly, but don’t get ahead of yourself. Punching a few spaces before your inspiring words won’t have the desired effect you’re looking for. The art of centering on Instagram is a process that manipulates a glitch in Instagram’s code. You’ll see soon enough.
For the sake of ease, you’ll find it much easier to edit your bio with a computer. Reason being, you’ll have to highlight and copy a special nonbinding space, which can prove difficult on a mobile device. With that being said, you are more than welcome to continue with a mobile device. Instagram will still let you center on either version.
Centering Your Instagram Bio
1. Locate and launch the Instagram app. The Instagram icon is the outline of a camera against a backdrop with an ombre effect. You can find the Instagram app somewhere on one of your home screens. If you can’t find it there, check inside your App Drawer. All currently installed apps are located in your App Drawer.
2. Log into Instagram with your Instagram account and password, if you aren’t already logged in.
3. At the ‘head and shoulders’ icon, located in the bottom right corner of the screen. Doing so will redirect you to your profile.
4. On your profile page, tap Edit Profile. You can find it at the top, just below your profile picture.
5. Scroll down to Bio. Select the text field below it.
6. Now, type in the bio you want to present to the world of Instagram, but remember, you only have 150 characters to work with. Every single character counts against and yes, that includes the spaces.
7. Rather than punch in a bunch of spaces before the text–something Instagram will completely disregard and format normally–you’ll have to use a special nonbinding space, which you can copy from here, without copying the brackets, of course: [⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀]
- Press your finger against the text; two small icons will appear. Take one and drag it in front of the first bracket. Afterwards, take the other nub and drag it before the second bracket. Then copy it.
8. Once you’ve copied the special nonbinding space, head back to Instagram. Press your finger against the screen, just before your first line. When “Paste” appears, go ahead and tap it. Do this for the next several lines, but remember, you have a limit to the number of characters you can use; 150 characters is not a lot to work with.
9. When you’re finished, tap the checkmark in the top right corner of the screen to save your bio. When you’re on your profile page, tap the “X” in the top left corner of the screen. If done correctly, you’ll see a big difference in the way your bio is presented.
Why Both Centering Your Instagram Profile?
Many users of Instagram use Instagram not to necessarily amass an audience, but rather, a link to their work. You’ll find, quite often, Instagram bios that list their occupation, maybe their experience and an email one can contact them through. If you center your bio, in that context, you’re making your Instagram bio differ from others in the same field.
One great way of catching the eyes of others is “staggering” your bio. After adding the special nonbinding spaces, you can add additional regular spaces to another line, forcing the line to the right. If you do this for other lines, adding more as you go down, you’ll create an effect that resembles stairs or, in other words, a “staggering” effect.
While the method of centering on Instagram is rather annoying, it’s worth the trouble of adding them just to provide a more visually appealing profile. It adds some flavor to your Instagram profile that can certainly catch eyes, especially if you use Instagram to market your work.