Speaking of YouTube, let’s say you sent a video and get an error! Not only that, but you get another error when you open a YouTube link that was sent to you by another friend.
You’re wrong if you think you are stuck with an issue that has no resolution. Let’s dive in a little further to discuss this issue and tips and tricks to utilize when this problem arises.
Why Can’t I Send YouTube Links on Messenger?
1. Is it Possible You’ve Got a Bug?
It has always been a tech junkie’s fear to find out one of their apps has a bug. Although it may be frustrating, exterminating a bug is the only way to eliminate it. Let’s check out some of the simple fixes.
Fix – Use Facebook.com
The first fix is to attempt to log into your Facebook account to send or open your YouTube links.
Messenger is automatically linked to your Facebook account. In other words, if you open Facebook on a web browser, you can also access your Messenger.
To access your Messenger via facebook.com, you must:
1. Open a web browser on your personal device. Make sure the browser you open is compatible, fast, and efficient. When opening a web browser on your device, it is recommended to use Google Chrome.
2. Once the browser is open, go to facebook.com on your mobile browser.
3. When you are redirected to the login screen, you will be prompted to enter in the email address listed under your Facebook account. You will also be able to enter the mobile number connected to your account.
If you enter your mobile number as a way to access your Facebook account, do not add any zeros before the country code or any symbols. Enter the number as is. You will also be given the option to enter your username.
4. You will then be prompted to enter the password associated with the account. When entering the password, ensure all letters, numbers, and symbols (if applicable) are correct.
5. Finally, tap the login tab after all credentials are adequately entered.
From here, you will be able to see your feeds. -To access your Messenger, the icon will be located in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
6. Tap the Messenger icon to open your messenger threads.
7. Attempt to either copy the YouTube link and send the link to a friend, or if a link was sent to you, attempt to open the YouTube link to ensure you will be redirected to the URL page of the video.
This is a quick and simple fix to consolidate the issue and for you to know if the problem may be your Messenger app itself. If this does not work, continue to the following method.
Fix 2 – Use Facebook on Your PC
After attempting to use your Messenger on a web browser on a personal device and there is no progress, try logging into your Facebook on your PC.
The same steps used to access facebook.com on your personal device via a web browser will be the exact steps to take when logging in on a PC.
You can follow these steps on a Windows PC or MacBook. To do so:
1. Open a compatible web browser on your PC (preferably Google Chrome)
2. In the search bar, go to facebook.com.
3. Click on Email or Phone Number and enter either your email address associated with your account or the phone number linked to the account.
You will also be given the option to enter your username. When entering this information, ensure all letters, numbers, and symbols (if applicable) are correct before proceeding forward.
4. Once the information is entered, you’ll be prompted to enter your password. Make sure all characters of your password are entered correctly.
5. After entering your credentials, you will click on the login tab. This will redirect you to your homepage, where you can see your feeds and other posts.
6. On this page, in the top right-hand corner, you will see your profile icon, a notification bell, nine dots in three rows of three, and your Messenger icon.
7. Click on the Messenger icon to open your Messenger threads.
8. If you were having trouble sending a YouTube link, attempt to copy the YouTube link from YouTube on your PC and send the link again with Messenger open on your PC. Suppose you were having trouble opening a YouTube link; attempt to open the link again on your PC.
Although logging in to your Facebook on a PC is the last step on anyone’s mind, this alternative can be very beneficial. If you have attempted these steps and there is still no progress, there’s no need to worry! There is another alternative to look into.
Fix 3 – Log Out and Log In
Logging out and logging back in is a quick read to reset the app and its functions.
To log out of Messenger using the Facebook app, you must:
1. Open the Facebook app on your phone.
2. Click on the “More” button on the right corner of your screen. Three vertical lines will identify the icon.
3. Navigate to Settings and Privacy.
4. Next, scroll down and go to Security and select Security and Login.
Now you’ll see the list of devices where you are logged in.
5. Select the Messenger session and click on Log Out.
If you are using an iOS device, to log out, you must:
1. Open the Facebook app on your iOS device.
2. Click on the “More” button, which appears in the screen’s top right corner, indicated by three vertical lines.
3. Navigate to Settings and Privacy.
4. Scroll down and go to Security and select Security and Login.
6. From there, you will see the same list of devices where you are logged in.
7. Select the Messenger session that is logged in and click on Log Out.
Once you successfully log out of your Messenger account, log back in. Once you are logged in on your PC, Android, or iOS device, attempt to copy and send the YouTube link to a friend. If you are experiencing an issue with opening the YouTube link, try to open the link again.
Fix 4 – Clear the Cache
Clearing cache is something many technology users tend to forget about, especially when using a device with multiple applications for long periods. If you have built up cache, this may prohibit you from sending and receiving YouTube links. Sometimes, clearing your Messenger cache will allow the application to function just a little bit more smoothly.
If you are clearing your cache for Messenger on an Android device, you must:
1. Open your device settings and navigate to storage.
2. In the list, tap on the apps option. Once you tap on apps, this will redirect you to a list showing all of your applications on your device.
3. Choose the app whose cache you want to clear; in this case, you will select Messenger.
4. On the apps info page, select the clear cache option.
If Messenger is still running, it would be recommended to “Force Stop” the application and then reopen Messenger. Pressing Force Stop on Messenger will give the app a fresh start after clearing the cache.
If you are using an iOS device to clear the cache of your Messenger, you must:
1. Go to your home settings.
2. Click on Apps.
3. After clicking on Apps, tap the Apps option once again.
4. Locate the Facebook Messenger application and tap on it to open its properties.
5. Tap on the storage option.
6. From here, click on Clear Cache.
7. On an iOS device, there will not be a “Force Stop” option. So your next option is to open the Messenger app after the cache is cleared.
After your cache is cleared on either your Android or iOS device, reopen the Messenger app and attempt to resend the YouTube link to a friend or try to open the YouTube link that was sent to you.
Fix 5 – Update the App
Updates can be very unexpected. If you cannot send a YouTube link or open a YouTube link, the issue may be that an update is available for your Messenger app, but the update is not installed.
The very first step to take before updating the app is to make sure that you have a reliable source of internet connection (preferably Wi-Fi).
To update the messenger app on Android, complete the following steps:
1. First, open the Google Play Store on your device.
2. In the search bar, type in “Messenger” to locate the Messenger app.
3. Once the Messenger app comes up on your screen, tap it.
4. You will then see two tabs; one will say Uninstall, and the other will say Open. If an update is available, the word “Update” will be in the place of the Open tab instead. So, if there is an update available, the two tabs you will see will be Uninstall and Update.
5. Tap on the Update option.
6. Once you tap the Update option, the update will begin downloading and will install on your device. The app will be updated to the latest version.
If you choose not to update the app on your Android this way manually, you can:
1. Go back to the Google -Play Store home screen and tap on your profile icon in the top right-hand corner.
2. Next, you will tap on the Settings option.
3. Tap on Network Preferences
4. Finally, tap the Auto Update option. From here, you will have options on how you want your auto-updates to proceed.
They can proceed either Over Any Network, Over Wi-Fi Only, and you have the option to Don’t Auto Update Apps. If you are using this method, selecting the Over Wi-Fi Only option is recommended.
To update the messenger app on an iOS device:
1. Open the Apps Store on your device.
2. In the Apps Store, in the top right-hand corner, there will be a profile icon for your iCloud account. Tap on the icon.
3. On the following page, scroll down until you see a section for Available Updates.
4. In that section, if an update is available for the Messenger app, the update will be ready to install.
5. Scroll until you see the Messenger app.
6. Once you have located the Messenger app, next to it will be a button that says Update.
7. Tap the Update button.
8. Once the update is installed, the Messenger app will disappear in the Available Updates section.
9. You will then get a notification underneath the Messenger app stating that Messenger was recently updated.
After the update is installed, please navigate back to your Messenger app and open it to show your Messenger threads. After the threads are open, try to copy and resend the YouTube link. If your issue was opening a YouTube link to view, find the link in your messages, tap it, and attempt to open the link again.
Fix 6 – Reinstall Facebook
The next step to review is a method that may appear as time-consuming. But, as soon as you get started, it’s as simple as one, two, three. That method is to reinstall Facebook.
If you are using an Android device to uninstall the app, you must:
1. Navigate to your device settings and open the application manager.
2. Tap on the Facebook app.
3. And then tap to uninstall.
To reinstall Facebook on your Android device, follow these steps:
1. Open the Google Play Store on your device.
2. Type in Facebook and search bar.
3. After you have located the Facebook app, tap Install to download the application.
If you are using an iOS device to uninstall Facebook, you must:
1. Locate the app in your apps folder or on your home screen.
2. Press and hold the Facebook app.
3. Select the option to Remove App.
4. Finally, tap Delete App.
To reinstall Facebook on an iOS device, follow the steps below:
1. Open your iTunes app store.
2. Type in “Facebook” and the search bar.
3. Once you have located the Facebook app, press GET and follow the instructions on the screen to install Facebook.
4. Once the app is installed, return to your home screen to open the Facebook app.
After Facebook is reinstalled on either your Android or iOS device, navigate back to your Messenger. Once you’re back and your Messenger, attempt to send the YouTube link again.
And once again, if you are experiencing an issue with opening a YouTube link that was sent to you, try to open the link once more as soon as you have access to your Messenger.
Fix 7 – Contact Facebook
If all of the other alternatives fail, the last method is to reach out to Facebook support directly.
To access Facebook support, you can follow the steps below:
1. Log into your Facebook on your device or desktop PC.
2. Click the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner.
3. Select Help and Support from the drop-down menu.
4. The selection will give you three options; The first option available will be the Help Center. Choosing this option will direct you to Facebook’s Help Center page, which is a searchable terminal of help articles.
The second option will be the Support Inbox. When using this option, you will find updates from Facebook on profiles or posts you’ve reported. The third and final option available is the Report a Problem tab.
Here, you will find forms allowing you to submit feedback to Facebook and report any technical glitches or difficulties with Facebook features.
If you use the Report a Problem tab, you will be given the option to attach and submit screenshots and Screen recordings of the error that you are experiencing.
-It is highly recommended to use the Report a Problem tab for you to submit your issue to a Facebook advisor. Once you have submitted the form, a representative will get back to you promptly to assist with resolving the issue.
2. How’s Your Internet Connection
Fix – Fix Your Internet Connection
If you are having an issue with sending a YouTube link to a friend or opening a YouTube link to view, it’s recommended to check your internet connection. When checking your internet connection, it’s ideal to see if you are connected and to check the strength of the internet signal.
To check your data connection on your Android device, you must:
1. Open your settings app and tap on network and internet or connections.
2. If your mobile data is not on, tap mobile data or cellular data to switch the connection on. If your mobile data is already on, tap to switch it off and switch it back on.
3. Last, check that there is a data indicator such as 2G, 3G, 4G, or H next to the signal strength bars at the top of the screen.
If you are using a Wi-Fi connection from an internet provider, try resetting the modem. Resetting your modem may take a couple of minutes.
Once the modem is reset, connect your device back to the Wi-Fi signal and attempt to open your Messenger to either send the YouTube link again or open the YouTube link that was sent to you.
To check your data connection using your iOS device, you must:
1. Go to Settings, select Cellular or Settings, and then tap on Mobile data. If your data is turned off, tap to turn your data on. If your data is already on, tap to switch it off and then switch it back on.
Suppose you are using a Wi-Fi connection on your iOS device. In that case, you will repeat the same steps for resetting the Wi-Fi connection for an Android device, which is simply by resetting the modem, which may take a moment to come back up after resetting.
After performing these steps and you notice the issue persists, you must reach out to your internet provider for further resolution if you notice the problem is your Wi-Fi connection. If there is an issue with your data connection, it is best to reach out to your cellular provider and discuss the issue you are experiencing to isolate the problem.
3. The bummer of them all…Facebook is down
Fix – Wait For Facebook Servers to Correct Itself
Last but certainly not least, after all troubleshooting methods have been exhausted, there may be an issue that no one EVER wants to hear. And that issue may be that the server for Facebook is currently down.
This can cause a lot of sad faces across the nations, especially if the event is unexpected.
So, what do you do if the server for Facebook is down? Well, there isn’t much for you to do at this point. When a server is down, there is a possible physical machine loss of power, or perhaps the operating system or network card experiences an issue.
There are many variables that can result in a failure. And since Facebook Messenger is a prominent yet popular app for many individuals, the server connected to Facebook and Facebook Messenger is in a constant cycle of usage, which can result in an overload.
There is never a set deadline or time frame based on how long the server may be down for. The best thing to do is to wait until the server has been revived and is back up and kicking.
Although it may seem like the end of the technological world when the server is down, it’s all a matter of patience. So, in between the time of waiting for the server to come back up, try distracting yourself with other interests for the time being.
And if you’re trying to send a YouTube link that will not send, use your time to browse your YouTube channel some more to see if you can find other similar links. Who knows, you may even find a video better than the one you are attempting to send.
Sharing YouTube links via Messenger is an incredible way to stay connected with our contacts. It’s a great way to put a smile on someone’s face or ponder on a specific topic.
However, if you run into an issue where you cannot open the links or send them, there is no need to nose-dive into a complete frenzy or panic. There are many reasons for why the issue has occurred as well as resolutions to knock the problem out of the park.
You have access to alternatives such as; using facebook.com, using Facebook on your PC, logging out and logging back into your Messenger, clearing your cache, updating your app, reinstalling Facebook, and contacting Facebook support directly.
This article even explains how essential it is to check your internet connection. And if there’s nothing to be done if the server is down, you are provided with an enlightening tip to pass the time.
If you run into this issue next time, take a deep breath and follow the available methods for your troubleshooting needs. Once you take advantage of these alternatives to consolidate the issue, you will be able to send and view those funny YouTube videos in no time!