Nowadays, billions of people are logging on and off of the internet day in and day out. Many of them are using WiFi networks, as the largest percentage of daily online activity now happens via mobile devices.
If you’re in a situation where you want to stop certain people from connecting to your WI-FI network and block your roommates’ online access, college friends using up your bandwidth, you can block them using the MAC method.
WiFi theft is no myth. It happens every day. If you’ve been the victim to WiFi theft, fret no more, we’re going to show you how to block WIFI users connected to your WiFi network.
The MAC Method
For those with older routers, manually blocking devices connected to your WiFi network using the Media Access Control method is probably the best option.
To block devices connected to your WIFI network:
- Open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar
- User the proper admin username and password to log in to the router
- Select the Advanced menu
- Select Mac Network Filter
- Choose Turn MAC On and DENY computers listed to access the network
- Type the MAC address you want to block from connecting to your WiFi network (if you don’t know the address, you can always check the access list for unknown devices and copy its address that way)
- Select Save from the settings menu and all MAC address entered will be blocked from your WI-FI network
Cloak Your WiFi Network
We’ve included a bonus hack for those who prefer a more untraditional approach to fixing their tech issues. This hack works just as well before or after using the MAC method and will help make your WIFI network invisible so no one can connect to it in the first place.
To cloak your WIFI network from other devices:
- Log into your router following the same directions as above
- Select don’t broadcast my SSID or equivalent choice
- Select WiFi frequency and switch to 5GHz (it often requires a password and is much less used than other frequencies)
- Lastly, change the password to your router network
Block Device on Android
On a side note, there is another method for blocking devices from your WiFi. However, it is only for rooted Androids.
So, If you happen to own a rooted Android phone, you might what to give it a look. It’s called NetCut, and it’s excellent for analyzing and securing WiFi connections.
NetCut shows you all the devices that are already connected to your WI-FI network, and they will display as Network Users.
After you’ve chosen the MAC address of the device you want to block, you need to click on the address and drag the WIFI bar down to 0.
Blocking Devices From Your WiFi Network
Now that we’ve covered how to block devices connected to your WiFi network, as well as how to cloak yourself, you should have no problem keeping those pesky teenagers two houses down from syphoning your bandwidth.