This common issue is a buffering problem that many streaming services, including Prime Video, suffer from. When Amazon Prime Video starts buffering, it could be caused by various reasons. Luckily enough, most of the causes of the buffering issue have easy fixes that anyone can perform and should not take more than a few minutes.
Why Does Amazon Prime Video Keep Buffering
1. Poor Internet Connection
Because Prime Video depends on having an internet connection to stream whatever content you want to see, if for some reason you are not having the best internet connection while watching Prime Video, it is very likely that you will be experiencing some sort of buffering issue while trying to watch.
Luckily, if you are looking into solving this issue, there are various methods you can try to resolve a poor internet connection.
Fix – Reconnect TV to Router
The first fix you will try to perform to improve your internet connection will be reconnecting your TV to a router. First, let’s make sure that your network is up and running.
Remember that your internet connection should be at least 900 Kbits/sec for Standard Definition (SD) videos and 3.5 Mbits/sec for High Definition (HD) videos. If you’re using Wi-Fi, you can also try to place your streaming device and internet router closer together. Here are the steps to check your network connection.
1. Unplug your modem, router, well as your TV.
2. Wait for about 1 minute.
3. Plug all the devices back in.
4. Once you plug everything back in, establish the internet connection and try to use your Amazon Prime; if it doesn’t help, continue reading.
Fix 2 – Connect TV to Router Via Ethernet
In order to have the best connection when watching any sort of content on a smart TV or a device that requires an internet connection, a method you should give a try is plugging your TV directly into the internet router using an ethernet cable.
Another thing you should consider to have a strong internet connection is ensuring your TV is close to your router. When you’re connecting multiple devices, you will want to ensure that you have a stable and strong internet connection by ensuring your router is high-powered and receives lots of power from the power supply.
A wired connection also comes with some benefits that might be as obvious right off the bat. First of all, it’s simple to set up – just plug it in.
Plugging your TV into the router via an ethernet cable provides the most reliable connection – your streaming should be free from buffering. Lastly, using this method is much faster than Wi-Fi. In order to connect, follow the next steps.
1. Start off by finding the ethernet port on the back of your smart TV.
2. From here, you will want to connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the port on your TV.
3. Using your TV’s remote, find the option to select Menu, and from this menu, you will want to go to Network Settings on your TV.
4. Once you find yourself in the settings menu, select the option to enable wired internet in order to start the process.
5. Once you are there, using your remote’s buttons, you will be prompted to type in your password to the wifi network you will be using.
Fix 3 – Restart Router
Perhaps the issue with your bad connection is coming directly from your router, and restarting the router can fix this issue.
Modems and routers nowadays will come with a power button and a reset button already installed on the device in order to make these processes much simpler. Let’s start off with the process of restarting your router.
1. The reset button is located in the back of the device. In order to be able to reach the inside of the hole and actually reset the device, you will need a small sharp object such as a paperclip or an earring.
2. The power button will allow a user to restart the networking device without even needing to unplug the router in the first place. If your device has no power switch, you can also turn off the device by pulling the plug out of the power outlet.
3. After this, you will want to wait for 15 seconds. Follow this by then plugging the device back in. Performing this power cycle will help ensure that everything restarts correctly.
4. Go ahead and continue by unplugging the modem and router from the power outlet. Wait at least 15 seconds.
5. Follow this by plugging the modem back into the power outlet first. After this, you will want to wait about 2 minutes.
6. Now it is time for the user to go ahead and power on the router.
7. After doing this, you will want to wait for all panel lights on your cable modem to become green. Make sure you do this before testing your internet connection.
8. After this is done, you will need to connect to the network using your computer and once this is done, make sure to test the internet connection. It’s always better to test this by connecting with an ethernet cable. This can be done by directly plugging the ethernet cable into the router.
Fix 3 – Reset Router
Take your issue with your router one step further, and try resetting your router completely in order to see if this fixes the issue. Follow the next steps in order to try resetting your router as well.
1. First, start the reset process by unplugging your router and modem from the power outlet in the wall.
2. After this, you will want to unplug any connections between your modem and wireless router. Wait a few seconds to allow the router to refresh and remove any stored data and allow the equipment’s memory to have time to refresh as well. This process should only take about a minute or two at most, and this does not cause any harm or damage to your device.
3. After you’ve let your modem and router refresh completely, you’ll want to plug your modem into the wall first. It is very important that you plug in your modem’s power cord before your modem.
Don’t plug your router in yet, and ensure you don’t hook up any other connections. Allow for about a minute for your modem to power up. During this power-up process, you will see the lights on the front of it blink or turn on and off.
4. After this is done, you will want to wait until most or all of your modem’s lights are glowing green. After this, you are ready for the next step.
5. After this, it is time for your router to start broadcasting that Wi-Fi signal. Start this by going ahead and plugging it back into the wall and reconnecting it to your modem.
6. Once you’ve plugged your router back in, the user should give the modem a few minutes to allow it to turn back on properly.
7. After both your modem and router are powered back up, it’s time to update your firmware and any apps your equipment uses. Updating your firmware is an important process because firmware contains updates for your router and modem that keep them running smoothly.
Performing these firmware updates will make sure to remove any performance problems and may even help make your internet speed a lot faster, making your overall internet experience a much better one.
2. Too Many Devices Connected to Router
Another issue that might not be as obvious regarding your router and its functionality is that too many devices could currently be connected to the router, weakening the internet signal it sends out.
There are a few solutions as to how you can help your router provide a faster internet signal to the devices you truly want that connection to go to.
Fix – Disconnect Other Devices Connected to Router
An easy way to remove unauthorized devices from your network is simply by changing your Wi-Fi password. This will force all devices to disconnect from the network. Because of this, you must sign in again with the new password on all of your devices.
Fortunately, performing this process will also make everybody else have to sign in to the network once again. If they don’t have the new password, then those users will not be able to log into the network again.
These steps are the same as changing the password but take it a step further. While changing the password, go ahead and change the network name itself. You can also take an extra step beyond that and encrypt the network traffic using WPA or WPA2 encryption.
You can access your router software or Internet service provider software to manually kick off any device using your network. This could be done by accessing a dedicated web portal provided by the ISP or by simply connecting the router to a personal computer if you were wondering what a USB port on a router is for.
After doing this, you can go ahead and remove any suspicious devices that you do not recognize. You also can set other security parameters via this same software and download new drivers.
Fix 2 – Connect Samsung TV to Phone’s Hotspot
What if your WiFi network is acting up, and the only option is to connect your phone’s hotspot to a Samsung TV? Is it possible? When this happens, you’ll have limited access to multiple features on your smart TV.
With a mobile hotspot, you can continue accessing multiple functionalities with ease. You should know everything about connecting your phone’s hotspot to a Samsung TV. If you want to make the best of your Smart TV, using a WiFi network is the best way to go.
However, sometimes, it’s not possible to use WiFi. The network may be patchy, or the signal strength too weak. In this case, you may want to use a mobile hotspot to connect your TV to the internet and enjoy all its features without hassle. Follow the next steps to start connecting.
1. Start off by turning on the hotspot feature on your phone.
2. Search for the network from the list of networks that show up on your TV, and connect.
3. Go to your wireless connections on your phone and select Personal Hotspot.
4. Turn on the hotspot feature on your mobile phone, making sure mobile data is also turned on.
5. Next, on your TV, go to your connection or network settings and allow your smart TV to scan for all WiFi networks available.
6. When your mobile hotspot appears on the list of available networks, select it and enter your password. Save the password on your TV so you won’t have to enter it again the next time you use the mobile hotspot.
Please note that you will want to ensure you have enough data. Your mobile hotspot may offer a limited amount of data allowance. In this case, you need to know how much data is provided and whether or not it can accommodate your Smart TV requirements.
Consider subscribing to a data plan that can accommodate the high data usage that your TV will demand. Apart from enabling a mobile hotspot, you should also ensure that mobile data is turned on.
This will allow you to connect your Smart TV and the hotspot device. Most Smart TVs adjust the resolution, bandwidth, and size of the file being used based on connection speeds.
Furthermore, platforms like Amazon Prime prioritize convenience over quality. Therefore, the quality may take a dip if your mobile hotspot connection isn’t strong enough. For this reason, using a mobile hotspot to connect your TV is not advisable if you plan to watch high-quality content.
As you can see, connecting your mobile hotspot to your Smart TV is a super easy process. All you need is the correct procedure and an internet connection that can handle high-quality streaming.
3. Prime App Issue
If you are still experiencing issues with buffering while using Prime Video despite having a great internet connection, the real issue might actually be caused by Prime Video itself, and it might be time to start playing around with the different features within Prime.
Fix – Log Out, then Log into Prime
You can log into Amazon on all sorts of devices, from phones to computers to tablets. But there are several different ways to log in, which also means that there are multiple ways to log out.
However, you should also remember that Amazon doesn’t make the logout process obvious and simple to follow to anyone unfamiliar with the website. Here’s how to log out of Amazon’s app on your phone or the website on your computer or phone.
Remember that logging out on one device won’t log you out anywhere else and will only perform a log-out on the device that you are using.
1. Start off, by opening the Amazon app. Follow this by tapping the three stacked lines in the bottom-right corner.
2. After this, you will want to scroll down to the bottom of this new menu and tap Settings.
3. You will be able to see a list of options that appears. Go ahead and tap the last option which will allow you to sign out.
4. If you aren’t using the Amazon mobile app, you’re probably using the Amazon website. You can log into the Amazon website on a computer or phone.
5. After this, you will want to go to Amazon’s website and click over the Account & Lists option in the top-left corner of the website.
6. After this is done, go ahead and click Sign Out at the bottom-right corner of the menu that appears.
7. Head to the Amazon website. You should be able to see your name on the screen. Go ahead and tap your name in the top-left corner of the screen.
8. Once this is done, you will want to scroll down to the Settings section, then tap Sign Out. You have now logged out of your Amazon Prime account.
9. If you want to, log in using your Amazon account after logging out. To do this, head over to Amazon.com.
10. Click on Sign In and enter your email address and password. You will instantly be taken into your account and, if you have a Prime account, do not worry because you will still be able to access all the benefits included.
Fix 2 – Clear Prime Cache
Clearing your app cache could be a solution as to why your Prime Video services are buffering, and it is an easy and simple process for you to follow. It should perform on any device you believe is acting slower than usual.
As was mentioned before, regularly cleaning up your device’s app cache and browsing data includes increased speed and performance and protection from harmful malware you might have encountered while browsing.
While doing this, it might be a good time to evaluate what apps are installed on your smart TV. Clearing app data on a smart TV device is similar to using your mobile gadgets.
Please keep in mind that in order to clear the cache on other apps, you will need to repeat the cache clearing process for every app installed on your device.
1. Start off the process of clearing the cache on your TV’s Prime app by going to your app and the Home button on your Samsung smart TV’s remote control.
2. After this, you will want to go to your TV settings.
3. Follow this by selecting Apps.
4. Next, you will want to go to the System apps.
5. Choose the app you want to clear the cache with.
6. Tap on “Clear cache”.
7. Tap OK to confirm.
Fix 3 – Update Prime App on TV
Perhaps updating your Prime App on your Samsung TV solves your buffering issue. Samsung smart TVs give you access to loads of fantastic apps, making it easier than ever to access the entertainment you love.
You can download, uninstall, lock and unlock apps through the apps menu, giving you greater control over who can access your media. To do so, follow the next steps and start by updating the Prime App on your smart TV.
1. Press the Smart Hub button.
2. Select Featured.
3. Go ahead and try navigating to an app that needs updating.
4. After this, go ahead and press and hold the Enter button until a sub-menu appears.
5. Select Update apps.
6. Click Select All.
7. Any apps that have any available updates will begin updating. This is indicated by a progress bar on the app’s screen.
Fix 4 – Contact Prime
If none of the solutions regarding Prime were able to resolve your issue with a buffering streaming service, it might be time to simply go ahead and contact customer support for Prime Video.
Amazon offers phone, chat, email, and live support in order to assist its customers with any issues they may be having. Follow the Amazon Prime website and log into your account in order to be able to access the customer service information.
4. You’re Using A VPN
Fix – Disconnect VPN
Every major VPN service today offers unlimited bandwidth, meaning you can always leave it on. But there may be instances where you’d want to disable it for a short time period. Read on to learn how you turn off a VPN on any device.
Most VPNs provide apps and software for all major devices to make setup and connection breezy.
1. If you’ve installed the client on your iOS, Windows, Android, or macOS device, simply launch it and click or tap the same button you used to turn it on. Depending on your provider, it will read something like Stop, Disconnect, or Turn Off.
2. However, the purpose is the same (to disable your VPN connection). Smart TVs typically don’t let you install apps unless they’re using Android TV OS.
3. In this case, you will have to download the VPN from Google’s Play Store. The process of turning off a VPN is no different than activating it, so here’s what you need to do.
4. Use your remote control to go to your installed VPN.
5. Open it and wait while the app loads up.
6. Locate the off switch or button.
7. Click it to turn off your VPN.
5. Device Issue
Fix – Unplug the TV for 60 Seconds, Then Plug Back In
Restarting your Samsung TV is also a fairly easy process and should take less than a minute to complete. Once you are ready to perform the restart to your TV, follow the next steps.
1. Go ahead and unplug your TV from the power socket.
2. Make sure the TV is unplugged from power for 30 seconds.
3. Once those 30 seconds are up, you will want to go ahead and plug the TV back in. This has completed the restart process.
4. Now you will want to go ahead and turn on your TV again.
5. Verify if the buffering has gone away and your display is back to normal.
6. If this is not the case, then you will want to go ahead and proceed with the following recommendations and steps on how to try the next method of solving any device issues.
Fix 2 – Update TV
If a simple restart to your TV did not fix your issue with the buffering that is appearing on your display, then you might need to proceed and go ahead and perform an update on your TV.
When you perform an update to your TV, this process drains the charge and resets the main board of your TV.
If you have issues with your TV apps that take too long to turn on or an issue such as the one with the green screen on your display, then a cold restart will help resolve these issues.
1. In order to go ahead and get started with the cold restart process, you will need to go to your TV while it is still on and simply unplug the TV from its power source.
2. This is similar to when you shut down and perform a soft reset on a computer since you are forcing the restart to take place.
3. Wait about 30 seconds before you again plug in your TV to the power source.
4. After this time is up, plug in your TV to the power source again.
5. Once it is plugged in, go ahead and turn on your TV.
6. After you have turned on your TV, verify if the buffering when using Prime Video has been resolved.