If there is anything that you don’t like about your Android device, there’s a pretty good chance you can find a way to change it. It is pretty common to dislike the launcher, the keyboard, or your wallpaper selections.
But there’s an even larger facet of your device that may annoy you: your ringtone. Whether you get confused when some else’s phone rings in public or just dislike the sounds that came with your new phone, below are the ways that you can change your ringtone and swap it for something fresh and unique.
1. Through the Zedge App
Zedge is an easy to use personalization app that allows you to customize many aspects of your phone, but one of the most notable uses are the Ringtone choices. Here are the steps:
1. Open the Play Store. It may be located on your home screen already or you may have to swipe up on your screen and search for it in the search bar on the top of the screen. The logo is a sideways, multicolored triangle.
2. Search for the Zedge app in the search bar of the Play Store, which is at the top of your screen, and install it.
3. Browse the app to find a ringtone that you would like. The app is simple to browse. First accept the terms of service to use the app. You will then be taken to the home screen of the app.
4. Tap the three horizontal lines at the top left corner of the screen. A menu will appear.
5. Tap the “Ringtone” part of the menu and you will be taken to a new screen.
6. You will see the featured page of the app. If you would like something that is a popular song, then scrolling through this part of the app may be what you want to do. You can also search by categories.
Click on the categories section in the center of the top of the screen to go to that Tap on any of the choices that you are interested in and it will take you to ringtones that fit into that category.
7. To listen to a ringtone, press the triangle in the circle next to the name of the ringtone. You can also add each ringtone to your favorites by pressing the heart on the right side of the screen. Tap the three horizontal lines and press the “Favorites” tab to go see which songs you have saved all in one place.
8. Once you choose a song, press the “Set” button in the bottom center of the screen.
9. You will need to choose what you want to set this sound as. You can set it for a specific contact, for a notification, for all your contacts, or as an alarm sound. Tap on “Set ringtone.”
10. Press Allow to give Zedge access to photos, media, and files on your device if you want to use the app.
11. Now you must give Zedge access to your settings. You can press Settings on the next screen that pops up and, once it takes you to settings, press the switch onto the “on” position.
12. Press back to go to the Zedge app, and you will now see at the bottom where it says, “Standard ringtone updated.”
2. Set Custom Ringtone Manually
If you already have a song downloaded that you want to make your ringtone, you can take the following steps to set it as your ringtone:
1. Download and Install Solid Explorer File Manager in Google Play Store. Search for it in the search bar at the top of your screen on the Play Store and Install it.
2. Go to your Downloads folder. Usually, on your home screen, you will see an icon that says, “My Files” underneath it. If not, you can swipe up on your screen and search “My Files” in the search bar at the top of your screen.
3. Search through your downloads for the song file that you want to set as your ringtone.
4. After you find it, tap and hold the audio and copy it.
5. Now you will have to move it to your “Internal Storage” or “Internal Memory.” To do this, press the back icon located in the top left corner.
Since you are already in “My Files” you should be able to press back until you are back at the “My Files” home page. You will see the internal storage there.
6. Tap the Internal storage and scroll until you see the “Ringtones” folder. Tap it.
7. Then press “Copy here” or “Paste” on the bottom right corner of your screen.
8. Now, go to your phone’s settings to tap “Sounds and Vibration.”
9. Tap on Ringtone.
10. Select the Solid Explorer app from the options that they give you to complete the action.
11. Open the menu and tap My Files underneath the background sessions section of the menu. It should be near the top.
12. Scroll until you see the Ringtones folder. The sound that you copy or pasted into internal storage should be located here. Tap select.
11. Go back to the Sounds and Vibration section in your settings.
12. Tap on ringtone and scroll through the options.
13. Select the song to make it your ringtone.