If you’re in the App store trying to download an app that only available in foreign countries, you can be showing an error message. This error says: “Account Not In This Store. Your account is not valid for use in the ? Store. You must switch to ? Store before purchasing.” or “app store account not in this store”.
This error message is different for everyone because it depends on which country your Apple ID is associated with and with App store you’re currently in trying to download the app.
For example, if your Apple ID is associated with a country in the US, and you’re in Canada trying to download and install apps, the error message would say, “your account is not valid for use in the united states store. You must switch to US Store before purchasing.”
The Reason Your Account Is Not Valid For Use In The United States Store
The reason your account is not valid for use in another store is that you’re in a foreign country to the country your Apple ID is associated with. If you have an Apple ID with a billing address different to the country that you’re in now, you’ll need to switch to the right store to purchase the app.
Another reason your account isn’t valid in another store is that you have recently changed your iCloud region to a different billing country. However, the App Store on some devices gets out of sync. Usually, people change their iCould region to a different billing country when they want to access apps that are restricted to a specific country or regions so if you’ve found yourself doing, you’ll need to make sure that you change your region back to get rid of this error.
One more reason why your app store account is not in this US store is that you could be using someone’s Apple ID that lives in another country to set up your iPhone and other Apple devices. If you’re using a family member’s Apple ID for example and you’re living in a different country to them, then you need to make sure that you get your own Apple ID with a billing address attached to them that’s where you reside.
How to Fix Your Account Is Not Valid For Use in a Store
If your app store account is not in the store and it isn’t valid for the country you’re in, then you need to change your Apple ID’s country so that you’re in the right store. if you’re in another country, then this isn’t possible and you’ll need to make sure that your billing address and card are attached to the country that you’re in.
1. How to Change your Apple ID Country
If you’re willing to change your Apple ID country, this will allow you to purchase the app in the country you’re currently in. However, if you’re not in another country and you don’t want to change you’re not willing to change your Apple IDs country, you can follow the instructions to get rid of the error.
- Open Settings > click your name > iTunes & Apple Store.
- Tap your Apple ID > View Apple ID. You might have to sign in.
- Tap Country/Region.
- Tap Change Country or Region.
- Select your new country or region. You’ll have to then review the Terms & Conditions. Tap Agree twice to confirm.
- Select a payment method.
- Enter your new payment information and billing address. You’ll need to make sure that the billing address is valid unless this won’t work.
- Tap Next. You should be able to download the app because your Apple ID is now associated with the country you’re trying to purchase the app from.
On Mac or PC:
- Open iTunes.
- From the top menu, choose Account > View My Account.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click View Account.
- Click Change Country or Region.
- Select your new country or region.
- Agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- Enter your new payment information and billing address. You’ll need to make sure that your billing address is valid unless it won’t work.
- Click Continue.
2. Sign Out then Into the App Store
If you’ve changed your Apple ID country or you’re not in a foreign country to your Apple ID and you’re still getting this error message, there a few things you can do that might fix the problem.
The first thing you can do is to sign out of the App Store. Since the problem is coming from the Apple store and you’re not in another country, there may be a bug causing this error to show up.
To sign out of the App Store:
- Open the App Store app.
- Click the Today tab.
- Tap the profile picture.
- Choose Sign Out.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Tap Sign In.
- Click your Name and Apple ID. Check if your Country/Region setting is congruent to where you are now.
3. Hard Reset your iPhone
If you’re still getting this error when trying to purchase apps in the App Store, then hard restarting it might help. If your iPhone has a software problem that’s causing the error, hard resetting can get rid of the problem.
If you have an iPhone 7 or above:
- Hold the sleep/wake key and the volume down key.
- Wait for the Apple logo to appear
If you have an iPhone X and above or 8:
- Quickly press the release the volume up button.
- Quickly press the release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.